Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > California fires
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 1:42 pm 
Last Monday morning I posted this fire map on social media. By early evening the map had been opened so many times I hit Google's pay wall and all my maps stopped working. Each time any of my Google maps is opened, the Google map API (Application Program Interface) is downloaded from Google's servers to the user's browser. Google knows the IP address of my server. Google allows an IP address (i.e. my server) to cause its map API to be downloaded a total of 25,000 times per day for free. After that all maps from that IP address stop working until the next day unless you buy more API downloads for the rest of the current day. On Tuesday I hit the pay wall earlier in the day. Someone suggested setting up a GoFundMe. I looked at that but they want 9+% overhead which seemed steep. Instead, on Wednesday I posted on a CA forum where they know me and like my fire map. I explained the probblem and asked for donations via the Gmap4 donate page (PayPal). In literally minutes $240 had been donated and I told that was plenty, please stop. So I gave Google my credit card and set up automatic billing. On Thursday I get an email out of the blue from Google. It said they knew about my fire map and that it had hit their pay wall. Then the email said for the duration of the fire emergency they were raising my allocation of free map API downloads from 25,000 to 250,000! Yea Google. For more info about the map you can click "Map Tips" in the upper left corner.
View larger size in new window

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 6:15 pm 
Nice work!

mike

mike
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 6:32 pm 
Cool! Is there a way to reduce the opacity of the yellow fire grid to be able to see through it? Without turning it off

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 7:01 pm 
Joey wrote:
On Thursday I get an email out of the blue from Google. It said they knew about my fire map and that it had hit their pay wall. Then the email said for the duration of the fire emergency they were raising my allocation of free map API downloads from 25,000 to 250,000! Yea Google.
Very nice! I noticed a slow down in GMap4 earlier this past week. That was probably what happened. Yeah finally the S.F. Chronicle made their articles free concerning the fires. I had a thread up last Tuesday for all of 3 minutes complete with streaming video. But to be honest the situation was so freaky and demoralizing that I took it down. frown.gif So since you started this Joey, here's more content. From an article about the beginning of the fires last week. Several stories in here of how fast it all happened. Many folks had gone to bed for the night. Many people escaped because their neighbors woke them up. Quote: By night’s end, driven by capricious winds, the swarm of conflagrations would hopscotch seemingly everywhere across an astonishing 100 square miles of Wine Country, growing into the worst wildland-urban cluster of fires in state history. At least 40 people would die and more than 5,000 structures would be incinerated. One of the nation’s most popular tourist regions would be ravaged, the fires’ unstoppable fury continuing day after day as fire crews struggled to tame them. ~z

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 7:30 pm 
If weather here permits, I have been going down for a few years to do a few days of volunteer work at a state park near Calistoga each November. I'm waiting to see if they will want folks this year. The place where we worked last year burned, along with some old buildings. The area needed a burn to go through, but not a really hot one. It was overgrown with brush and understory. We shall see. Then there is a preserve closer to Napa that I got a tour of. They'd been slowly doing some thinning and brush removal and the fire went through there. The buildings there have survived, we'll maybe see how scorched the redwoods are. I don't know much about redwoods so it will be interesting. It's been a pretty scary and tragic disaster. I've heard that powerlines are the culprits. Maybe it is time to put them underground.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 8:11 pm 
mike wrote:
Is there a way to reduce the opacity of the yellow fire grid to be able to see through it? Without turning it off
Short answer: no. Longer answer: I could add an opacity control but have higher priority new features to work on.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 8:12 pm 
If you change the basemap to "Today MODIS aerial" you can see the smoke plumes.

Chico

Chico
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 8:20 pm 
Joey wrote:
Then the email said for the duration of the fire emergency they were raising my allocation of free map API downloads from 25,000 to 250,000!
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 10:28 am 
My daughter-the-veterinarian and her husband-the-ER-physician live a couple miles SW of Sonoma. She cancelled a trip to Europe, boarded out their dog, and they both are doing volunteer work. I've been in touch daily and have been checking the local media. There's still a lot of fire out there, but the big ones are now at least 50% contained. The NWS seems pretty confident that they'll get a bit of rain later this week. Not enough to put the fire out, but at least a big help for the firefighters. I'm reading that in a number of state parks, only the underbrush burned, which is ideally what should happen. Redwoods are extremely fire-resistant. In the meantime, at least 5,000 homes are gone in an area that already had a significant housing shortage, the authorities keep finding more bodies, and a firefighter was killed (truck rollover) this morning. At least what happened in Santa Rosa proves that nobody should consider that they are safe from wildfire because they live in a densely built-up urban area!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Chico

Chico
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
At least what happened in Santa Rosa proves that nobody should consider that they are safe from wildfire because they live in a densely built-up urban area!
Just viewed a video by the Berkeley FD on Facebook. Pretty devastating what happened in Santa Rosa. They had been instructed to meet up at a Target parking lot for staging but arrived to find the store fully engulfed so drove on. Passed an area that at first glance appeared to be a large open field. Then it dawned on them it had been solid houses (this was in the dark). Video at Facebook They were able to save some houses. On the other side of the street everything burned. One house would catch fire and ignite the one next to it and on down the line.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 8:57 pm 
I saw that video. Yikes. Makes me wonder could that happen here. After all, some summers central puget sound has red flag warnings.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 8:42 pm 
If the strong east winds from the Gorge had kept up another day, the Eagle Creek fire that started Labor Day weekend could have reached my home in Troutdale. The boundary of the Level 1 evacuation zone was just a few blocks east. I was away from home (escaping the smoke) at the time, and when I found out about the new evacuation zone and called my neighbors, they told me the winds had died down that afternoon. What a relief! Cliff Mass' blog today has a detailed account of how those winds happened and why they were unusually strong.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 6:33 am 
treeswarper wrote:
It's been a pretty scary and tragic disaster. I've heard that powerlines are the culprits. Maybe it is time to put them underground.
I've thought for YEARS that there is precious little reason to have 'em aboveground. Except for the really high voltage lines, which even those could be insulated, I'm sure. Some high power RADARs use sulpher hexaflouride gas as an insulator in the waveguides, so I'd guess that might be useful in buried HV lines. True, they're easier to repair aboveground, but then less likely to need repair underground. Anyway, it is a tragic disaster, indeed!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 7:56 am 
Article on efffects of fire on Sonoma County regional parks Of course, the fires may be about 2/3 to 3/4 contained, but there's still active fire in many areas.

Washakie

Washakie
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:23 am 
My father was born in Yountville and we used to live just north of town. Beautiful country. So sad.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie