Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 9:43 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
It's also worth noting that the total annual increase in revenue from this, which will undoubtedly make those parks unaffordable for tens of thousands of people, is LESS than we've spent to send the current president to his own damn golf courses in the nine months he's been in office. So it's pretty disgustingly clear where the priorities of this country lie.
which is almost as much as spent sending the last guy on all those trips to Hawaii. Direct funding of NPs was reduced decades ago in favor of the fee systems. So all people who don't go to them really don't pay much for it all. Boohoo poor people can't afford to go. I suggest those homeless people I saw in Seattle sitting in a pile of trash on the sidewalk playing on their iphones could sell those phones and buy an America the Beautiful pass. Also the same people who are sperging out saying we need tax increases not tax cuts to save the environment and the world are suddenly against this increase in the use tax (entrance fee) at the NPs. for years, people on this board have been complaining about not fully funding NPs and the resulting maintenance backlog. Well now something is being done about it and you're against it because YOU have to pay for it with your own money and not someone else's. Hypocrites and cheapskates the lot of you!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:01 pm 
Well that ought to keep all of the riff raff out of the parks, especially the local riff raff. National parks should only be for Seattleites with Subarus and foreign tourists. Let the poor people stay home and eat cake. I have a lifetime pass, so it won't affect me.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 pm 
ranger rock wrote:
Well that ought to keep all of the riff raff out of the parks, especially the local riff raff. National parks should only be for Seattleites with Subarus and foreign tourists. Let the poor people stay home and eat cake. I have a lifetime pass, so it won't affect me.
That's actually a good idea. Foreign tourists should pay a lot more. US citizens get a discounted rate. Have you been to Yellowstone lately? Probably half the tourists are <term removed by moderator>.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:35 pm 
Ski wrote:
Congress needs to make adequate funding appropriations for our National Parks.
Mmmhmm. And the members of Congress get elected by....got a mirror handy? "Our politicians are not our elected leaders, they are our elected followers"...quote from the movie Before the Flood.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:37 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Yeah, right, as if that will happen with this Congress lol.gif
Hey Steve - didn't you and I just go around and around about this one in another thread? lol.gif You are correct: it will not happen with the current administration or this current Congress or Senate. On the bright side: Some of you may not be aware of the fact that a National Park Service employee is forbidden to solicit their Congressman or Senator for anything having anything to do with National Parks. Further, they are forbidden to make any statement, publicly or otherwise, regarding anything that has anything to do with the politics involved in running a National Park Service. Maybe whoever put this proposal out on the table is just running a circuitous route here. Maybe the idea is just to piss you off enough that you'll contact your Congressman and Senator and raise holy hell. I noticed when I tried clicking that link Chico cited in the first post that I'm getting a "Service Unavailable" error message. Maybe there's enough people out there who are pissed off about it already they crashed the NPS website. What are the odds?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
And the members of Congress get elected by....got a mirror handy?
Both sitting Washington State Senators and the Congressman from the 6th District have consistently voted for increases in funding appropriations for National Parks. So did the previous Congressman from the 6th District, who I started voting for when he first ran in 1976. The problem is not the Washington State Congressional delegation - the problem is the current majority party.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:49 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Also the same people who are sperging out saying we need tax increases not tax cuts to save the environment and the world are suddenly against this increase in the use tax (entrance fee) at the NPs.
I'm not sure exactly what "sperging" is, but I don't recall anyone in this thread (or any other recent thread here) supporting the idea of tax increases to "save the environment", other than a few who support the idea of a "carbon tax" to fix the putative "global warming" problem. Maybe you got confused about which website you're on.
MyFootHurts wrote:
for years, people on this board have been complaining about not fully funding NPs and the resulting maintenance backlog. Well now something is being done about it and you're against it because YOU have to pay for it with your own money and not someone else's.
As noted above, the projected net revenue increase is estimated to be $68 million dollars. Currently the National Park Service maintenance backlog is $11.9 Billion dollars. The proposed fee increase would have less than an insignificant effect on addressing the problem. To put things into perspective: $68 million dollars is quite a bit less than the $82.6 million dollars it cost the US taxpayers to deliver 59 cruise missiles somewhere in the vicinity of an actual target in Syria in April. But then, I suppose that was "somebody else's money" that paid for those missiles, right?
MyFootHurts wrote:
Have you been to Yellowstone lately? Probably half the tourists are <term removed by moderator>.
Are you not able to stoop any lower?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:51 pm 
ranger rock wrote:
I have a lifetime pass, so it won't affect me.
Me too, and I'm still adamantly opposed to such a stupid idea.

uww

uww
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 11:11 pm 
I always thought the senior pass was an incredible bargain- though I suppose it brings in a lot of RV revenue. I would like access to the park for all (I will say I'm not thrilled about sharing with too many of them at once hmmm.gif ). However, I think in the end more people will stay home due to spite and cheapness rather than poverty.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 11:12 pm 
I think the idea is to push everyone into buying an America the Beautiful Pass or a geezer pass.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 11:14 pm 
UWW wrote:
"...I think in the end more people will stay home..."
^ National Park visitation numbers have continued to increase annually over the course of the last several years. This one's a fun read if you like numbers.

uww

uww
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 11:50 pm 
Ski wrote:
National Park visitation numbers have continued to increase annually over the course of the last several years.
I didn't mean overall, I meant out of the subset of those who would stay home due to the new fee. I think it is a very small fraction of people who will choose not to visit based on any fee increase alone, and I don't think the economic situation had as much to do with the turnaround in visitation as social media did. Gas prices were still high in 2013 and 2014 when the numbers started to shoot up after a long decline.

jm31828

jm31828
PostWed Oct 25, 2017 6:05 am 
Yes, great point! The idea that the $70 fee is not bad is really crazy. People like my family who live in the area and enjoy going to Mount Rainier 2 times per year at a minimum cringe already at the current cost- but if it was truly $70 we just simply wouldn't go. That is crazy expensive! We also don't go to any of the other places mentioned, because they are very expensive. Or they are things you go and do/experience once. So I predict a lot of regular middle class families like mine would stop going if this fee increase actually happens. There is the thought of buying the America the Beautiful pass, since it has the added bonus of covering NF hiking trail access, too- that is the one exception I could see for my family.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 25, 2017 6:14 am 
There is a way to get it vetoed, but it would take some serious spreading of alternative facts. You must be able to send the message to the White House the Obama was going to raise rates at National Parks. That ought to be enough.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Oct 25, 2017 6:48 am 
Raise it to 150 for Yosemite and Yellowstone. Those parks would benefit from a healthy reduction in numbers in the peak summer periods.