Forum Index > Trail Talk > NPS could raise entrance fees
Previous :: Next Topic  
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
A couple new things for NP lovers to keep an eye on. One is Zinke's proposed reorganization of the Dept of the Interior. This would be staggeringly expensive--the government would have to pay to relocate tens of thousands of employees, plus find/remodel new office space, etc--at a time when the department is looking at $1.2 billion worth of cuts. The real reason Zinke wants this is because it will streamline the permitting process for oil and gas revenues. I would generally say that there is no way this could happen in the next few years, but so much is happening that I didn't think possible I can't say that anymore. Zinke has stated this--THIS--is his priority.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/01/10/interior-plans-to-move-thousands-of-workers-in-the-biggest-reorganization-in-its-history/?utm_term=.59dbcde83bb9

Probably a lot of people have already seen this in the news, but it was nice to see former AK Governor Tony Knowles stick up for NPs by slamming Zinke and the administration. But I suppose now Zinke will just staff the advisory board with industry people whose interests are financial.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/nearly-all-members-of-national-park-service-advisory-panel-resign-in-frustration/2018/01/16/b322ef5e-fae3-11e7-ad8c-ecbb62019393_story.html?utm_term=.457ac3d6f882
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 10:35 am 
I think the full text of the resignation is worth reading.

To:  Secretary Ryan Zinke                                                     January 15, 2018

Department of Interior

Chair of the NPSAB 2010-2017

Governor of Alaska 1994-2002

I am submitting my resignation as Chair and member of the National Park System Advisory Board. It has been an honor and privilege to serve on this Board for the last seven years with remarkable individuals who have committed their time and talent to ensure the stewardship our National Parks and prepare them for the enjoyment of future generations. We worked closely and productively through 2016 with dedicated National Park Service employees, an inspiring Director and a fully supportive Department. We engaged over a hundred volunteer national experts in education, science, history and anthropology, and park management and planning to help design the right path to meet the challenges and changes for the second century of our National Parks. We emphasized scientific research and mitigation of climate change; engaging young generations; evolving a more diverse culture of park visitors, advocates and employees; bringing our schools to our parks and our parks to our schools; stressing park urbanization; protecting the natural diversity of wildlife; and so much more.

These are the matters on which the Board wanted to brief you and your staff. We also wanted to present evidence of the overwhelming support and participation all across America for the National Park System and this agenda during the 2016 NPS centennial celebration.

For the last year we have stood by waiting for the chance to meet and continue the partnership between the NPSAB and the DOI as prescribed by law. We understand the complexity of transition but our requests to engage have been ignored and the matters on which we wanted to brief the new Department team are clearly not part of its agenda. I wish the National Park System and Service well and will always be dedicated to their success.  However, from all of the events of this past year I have a profound concern that the mission of stewardship, protection, and advancement of our National Parks has been set aside. I hope that future actions of the Department of Interior demonstrate that this is not the case.

The following National Park System Advisory Board member share the thoughts stated above and join me in tendering their resignations.

Gretchen Long, Paul Bardacke, Carolyn Finney, Judy Burke, Stephen Pitti, Milton Chen, Belinda Faustinos, Margaret Wheatley
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 2:49 pm 
Sad, so it goes shakehead.gif

You don't know what you had till it's gone.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 am 
I heard a statement from Zinke's office read on NPR yesterday in which  they responded with (I'm paraphrasing) "glad they resigned since they weren't able to do anything useful about sexual harassment in the department during their tenure" type deflection-of-attention-attack. They had Knowles on the air and he gave a very good and reasonable response to  this bit of nastiness. The statement also claimed that Zinke had reached out to schedule a meeting which Knowles laughed at and flatly denied. Who do  you  find more trustworthy here? These people are a special sort of something to be sure. I'm pretty confident that sending them our thoughts  is completely useless (e.g. see how the tide  of comments was ignored in the Monuments process, but how a few miners and ranchers were cozying up to Zinke on his "listening tour" on which he refused to see many locals who like the  Monuments...). Time to lawyer up - that's where some of my $$ have been  going...
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Jan 18, 2018 3:42 pm 
joker wrote:
"glad they resigned since they weren't able to do anything useful about sexual harassment in the department during their tenure"

That's true, they didn't. They also let Jarvis keep his job after an ethics violation. But that's also on a weak interior sec, Sally Jewell, and Obama, who didn't seem to give much of a hoot about the Parks.

And...Zinke hasn't done dinkus about the culture issues in the NPS either.

So it's a whole bunch of ineffective, unaccountable, money-wasting incompetents tossing insults as far as I'm concerned.

--------------
If not now, when?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
gb

gb
PostThu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
joker wrote:
"glad they resigned since they weren't able to do anything useful about sexual harassment in the department during their tenure"

That's true, they didn't. They also let Jarvis keep his job after an ethics violation. But that's also on a weak interior sec, Sally Jewell, and Obama, who didn't seem to give much of a hoot about the Parks.

And...Zinke hasn't done dinkus about the culture issues in the NPS either.

So it's a whole bunch of ineffective, unaccountable, money-wasting incompetents tossing insults as far as I'm concerned.

Where do you get this crap - make it up. If you educated yourself you would have found that the Obama administration brought all stakeholders to the table on a whole variety of Interior and environmental issues.

What we have now is like watching a 50 cent Western with no rhyme or reason other than listening to the deplorables. It is this bunch of losers that is trying to push Park fees to make parks less relevant. This is a fringe group that is pulling the strings.
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostThu Jan 18, 2018 5:29 pm 
gb wrote:
What we have now is like watching a 50 cent Western with no rhyme or reason other than listening to the deplorables. It is this bunch of losers that is trying to push Park fees to make parks less relevant. This is a fringe group that is pulling the strings.

There already are park fees and have been for decades.
The only person I see pushing for an increase is this Zinke character.
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostMon Apr 02, 2018 8:09 pm 
Americans tell Interior to take a hike over proposed national park fee increase. Washington Post article
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 pm 
They already have busted The geezer pass😡

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 8:25 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
They already have busted The geezer pass😡

Please explain what you mean by "busted".  Are the current passes revoked?  Thanks, ~z
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 9:47 am 
Just went from $10 to $100 not revoked yet

--------------
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 3:03 pm 
Okay.  Thank you.  ~z
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 5:19 pm 
Lifetime senior pass is $80.  I'm no spendthrift, but that seems ok to me given life expectancies.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/senior-pass-changes.htm?utm_source=feesandpasses&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=senior_pass
Grannyhiker

Grannyhiker
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 7:02 pm 
You can also get the Senior Pass on sort of an installment plan, by paying $20/year until you reach the $80 total for the lifetime pass.  That makes it still cheaper per year than the NW Forest Pass, for which it substitutes.

As an eternal cheapskate, I'm thankful I got mine back when it was $10 for the lifetime pass. It's still valid!

I haven't kept track, but in addition to the Forest Pass savings, I've gotten family into national parks and Johnston Ridge Visitor Center at Mt. St.Helens free.  I've also stayed at lots of USFS campgrounds at 50% off, the latest being for last summer's eclipse.

--------------
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 2:33 pm 
This just in: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/interior-backs-off-tripling-fees-at-national-parks-plans-5-increase/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BNA_041218212931+BREAKING%3a+Trump+Administration+backs+off+plan+to+triple+fees+at+national+parks_4_12_2018

--------------
The only easy day was yesterday...
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > NPS could raise entrance fees
  Happy Birthday Doomgoggles, kbatku, Trailblazing Todd!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: