Forum Index > Trail Talk > NPS could raise entrance fees
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 3:48 pm 
That's a $5 reduction on the annual pass. I can't quite grasp the logic- is there a stated reason for this weird discrepancy?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 4:17 pm 
contour5 wrote:
That's a $5 reduction on the annual pass. I can't quite grasp the logic- is there a stated reason for this weird discrepancy?
Annual pass just for Mt Rainier, for example is $50 to be increased to $55. America the Beautiful pass (good at all parks) is still $80 as far as I can tell.

hbb

hbb
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 4:30 pm 
contour5 wrote:
It's a $5 increase. The ONP Annual Pass is currently $50, it will be $55 starting June 1.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 4:46 pm 
Annual pass is a pretty bad deal unless you live in forks, ATB pass at $80 much better deal and works for FS also.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
contour5

contour5
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:10 pm 
Quote:
It's a $5 increase. The ONP Annual Pass is currently $50, it will be $55 starting June 1
I'm almost positive I paid $60 for my ONP passes, and the same for the annual BC Camping Permits, a few years back. Or, I could be wrong. I consider the annual passes an amazing bargain, if you can afford to spend a bit of time in the park. After a couple of week-long trips, you're spending more per day on coffee, probably. Public Property ought'a be free, but it ain't ezzackly.

RodF

RodF
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 8:01 pm 
Olympic National Park News Release wrote:
Olympic National Park Changes Entrance Fee to Address Infrastructure Needs & Improve Visitor Experience "Revenue from entrance fees remains in the National Park Service and helps ensure a quality experience for all who visit. Here in Olympic National Park, 80 percent of entrance fees stay in the park and are devoted to spending that supports the visitor. We share the other 20 percent of entry fee income with other national parks for their projects. "'Entrance fees are a critical source of revenue for the park in fulfilling our commitment to providing a quality experience for all visitors,' said park superintendent Sarah Creachbaum. 'The rehabilitation of our main park visitor center was funded largely through entrance fees. We look forward to addressing deferred maintenance projects including aging wastewater treatment systems with the additional revenue.' "The additional revenue from entrance fees at Olympic National Park will fund projects such as the replacement of the Log Cabin and Barnes Point wastewater treatment plants at Lake Crescent, Kalaloch water system improvements, rehabilitation of the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center and installation of new interpretive exhibits, road improvements to reduce congestion at Heart O' the Hills entrance station on Hurricane Ridge Road, and improvements to comfort stations and campsites in campgrounds across the park.
Note that backcountry fees have tripled. In 2017, Olympic NP had 122,678 backcountry visitor-nights [NPS Stats OLYM Interpretive Report, Dec. 2017]. Estimated fee revenues from backcountry overnight campers is $1.4 million per year. But the Park trail maintenance budget has remained about $550,000 per year, or 3% of the Park's budget to maintain access to 95% of this Park. Hikers fully pay more than double the cost of trail maintenance and the full cost of operating the Wilderness Information fee collection Center and are also subsidizing automobile tourists.
contour5 wrote:
I consider the annual passes an amazing bargain, if you can afford to spend a bit of time in the park. After a couple of week-long trips, you're spending more per day on coffee, probably.
See the Park's Wilderness Permit Fee Table. Two week-long wilderness camping trips in the Park cost $112 per person plus the Park entrance fee of $55 annually for vehicle with driver plus $15 per week for a passenger = $167 for one person or $309 for two persons. That's a lot of coffee.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
hbb

hbb
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 pm 
For 2018, the overnight backcountry fee is $8 per person per night (I just put in some reservation requests).

RodF

RodF
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 9:58 am 

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 am 
Wow! So sad!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 7:02 pm 
thanks for posting the charts, Rod. I couldn't copy them from the *.pdf format they sent me. BK

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."