Forum Index > Trip Reports > Earl Peak - 10.24.2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Oct 25, 2017 5:31 pm 
A beautiful day in the Teanaway. At 0.0 miles (~3650') park at the Beverly Turnpike Trailhead At 0.4 miles (~3920') turn onto the Bean Creek Trail #1391.1 At 0.8 miles (~4200') the trail crosses Bean Creek At 1.9 miles (~5040') the trail crosses Bean Creek a second time At 2.9 miles (~6200') reach the saddle that separates the Bean and Standup Creek drainages At 3.4 miles (7036') reach the Earl Peak summit At 3.8 miles (~6200') return to the Bean/Standup saddle At 3.9 miles (~6200') continue south on the ridge to a nice view point At 4.0 miles (~6200') return to the Bean/Standup saddle and follow steps back to car At 6.9 miles (~3650') get in the car and drive home We took the standard route to the Earl Peak summit... using a good trail to the saddle that separates the Bean Creek drainage from the Standup Creek drainage... then followed Earl's south ridge to the summit. Continuous snow from ~5000 feet to the summit... growing from 2 inches at the second crossing of Bean Creek to more than 6 inches at the summit. On our return we traced our steps back to the Bean/Standup saddle... then decided to continue south along the ridge to a very nice view point located an eighth-of-a-mile from the saddle... then back to the saddle where we traced our steps back to the car. 6.9 miles roundtrip, gaining 3378 feet of elevation. At the end of the hike we decided to see if we could drive to the Esmeralda Basin Trailhead at the end of the N. Fork Teanaway Road. A quarter mile from the end of the road there is a significant washout that will stop a lot of cars... and it will only get worse in the future. The only vehicles in the parking lot were 5 truck/SUVs and a single Subaru. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our trip to Earl Peak. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Oct 25, 2017 5:38 pm 
The Teanaway and Stuart Range are looking lovely with some fresh snow. up.gif

RichP

RichP
PostWed Oct 25, 2017 6:11 pm 
I figured a much more difficult crossing of Bean Ck after all that rain and the melting snow. Looks like it was a non-issue.

asdf

asdf
PostWed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 pm 
Thanks for the post, was thinking of doing Bean and Early soon, but I wouldn't touch Bean with that kind of snow!

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Oct 26, 2017 4:19 pm 
RichP wrote:
I figured a much more difficult crossing of Bean Ck after all that rain and the melting snow. Looks like it was a non-issue.
Both of the creek crossings were a 100 percent non-issue.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
podenski

podenski
PostSat Oct 28, 2017 3:30 pm 
Your trip report for Earl Peak inspired me, so I ventured up there yesterday. Most of the snow seen in your photos had already melted. Quite a view up there. Earl Peak video https://www.facebook.com/patrick.podenski/posts/1340577362736306

Pat Podenski
pula58

pula58
PostTue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 am 
Thanks for your trip report. You inspired me to go up Earl this past weekend. Beautiful blue skies, a nice warm day..not much snow left, all melted-out pretty much. Thanks!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Nov 01, 2017 2:26 pm 
Nice report, thanks. Good reminder too, I have to take my van to Earl's garage in Shoreline for a tuneup. hmmm.gif