Forum Index > Trail Talk > Existence of an Active Archive for Abandoned Trails?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bk

bk
PostThu Oct 26, 2017 3:29 am 
Does a master list of abandoned trails exist? • A 2002 post by Rich Baldwin shows a partial long list for Okanagan NF. • In the same topic Sawyer and Tom both reference a now-defunct eskimo.com link (by ~sfox), archived by the WayBack Machine here. • Hesman listed some Olympic Pen. Trails in 2005. Does a master list that's ongoing and comprehensive exist anywhere?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Oct 26, 2017 8:53 am 
I think it was last year, maybe 2 years ago, but the WTA was asking the public to suggest abandoned trails. I think they were looking to rehabilitate a few so I'd bet they have a good list going, maybe you could contact them.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Oct 26, 2017 8:58 am 
I guess the list of abandoned trails has gone abandoned wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostThu Oct 26, 2017 9:17 am 
If you can't find them, you can do a FOIA request for them. I am grateful enough to have inherited maps that show abandoned trails.

Have I offended you today?
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 26, 2017 11:28 am 
RodF put together a fairly comprehensive list of abandoned trails in Olympic National Park here.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chico

Chico
PostThu Oct 26, 2017 4:25 pm 
Have a static copy of the USFS Trail Core data for Region 6 but don't know enough about that database to know if it contains older trails. You'd more than likely have to submit a public records request to Region 6 HQ in Portland. In that request you'll need to specify the date range you want. What I have is trails currently open and "maintained" as of August 8, 2014. At the time I was wanting just a listing of all trails in national forests. It's a spreadsheet with trail name and number, forest code, segment length (trailhead to wilderness boundary, wilderness boundary to end), trail type (hiker versus stock versus motorized) and trail class (1-5).

meck

meck
PostThu Oct 26, 2017 5:59 pm 
To add to what Naches Hiker mentioned, you can look up (all?) the old USGS Maps here: http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/ I've found a number of them that showed older trails in the Olys (some of which were shown on the maps but apparently never officially built, though I've come across bits and pieces of several....). Quite a few, as Hesman's and RodF's threads list, are basically gone...

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Chico

Chico
PostThu Oct 26, 2017 7:36 pm 
meck wrote:
To add to what Naches Hiker mentioned, you can look up (all?) the old USGS Maps here:
or here. https://store.usgs.gov/map-locator

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Oct 28, 2017 11:34 pm 
WTA said these trails were on their “lost & found” trails work list for 2017, and beyond. Goat Rocks. Maintenance of lesser used access trails. Angry Mountain trail had a BCRT. Coyote? Klickitat Trail #7. I was on a weekend trip on this trail. I think WTA may be a little shocked at the magnitude of work required to get this seventeen mile trail back to stock specs. I commuted 🙂from downtown Packwood while others camped. FS had logged out a miles on east end, and some near Jackpot. We concentrated on tread work. Six Ridge had another BCRT. N Fk Sullivan trail had work planned. I’ve never been there, I’m not quite sure where it is. Boundary Trail, Pasayten. Did fire lead WTA to cancel project this year? Another one I’m not familiar with. Milk Creek. It seems lobbying for bridge replacement is first step, with work past as accessible. http://tinyurl.com/WTA-LostFound-17 Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Oct 28, 2017 11:57 pm 
ITA. I was on a project with them on the Mickinnick trail. It starts inside the city limits of Sandpoint. I think it even had a city water tap for dogs. ITA’s president lead the project. He said that the state had done a study that showed 17,000 miles of trail. The assumption is that most can only be located by brushbusters.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 29, 2017 7:57 am 
Klickitat #7 is in pretty good shape from the western end to the Pompey Peak junction. It is not good for horses as there are a few large trees across both at ground level and head level. Somebody made a step and scored a couple of these, but the patch will take a skilled sawyer with a large bar. It does need a brushout. I don't think it is in danger of being abandoned, but the trailhead road is. I do know the BCHers have maintained this trail in the past. I thought there was a list of abandoned trails somewhere on this site? I seem to remember adding a trail that shows on old maps and has sometimes been logged out by hunters? that accesses the old Strawberry Mtn. lookout site from the Benham Cr. area. Also, there is the trail up by South Point. These are on the GPNF.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostSun Oct 29, 2017 8:35 am 
Karen Sykes, now out of print book, Hidden Hikes is a great resource but as someone pointed out, after she wrote them up, lots of people went to find them. Still, a good starting point. She also kept a lot of hidden trails to herself for a variety of reasons.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Oct 31, 2017 12:06 am 
WTA has in the past has had projects filled by an individual group. Interest?

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Oct 31, 2017 8:04 am 
Bird in Hand wrote:
Karen Sykes, now out of print book, Hidden Hikes is a great resource but as someone pointed out, after she wrote them up, lots of people went to find them. Still, a good starting point. She also kept a lot of hidden trails to herself for a variety of reasons.
When I heard that Karen was working on that book I loaned her my collection of what I call Fire Plan Maps. Back in the early '80s I visited USFS district offices and inquired if they had any maps that might show abandoned trails. Usually I wound up in a back room room chatting up an old timer. I obtained copies of district maps that were generally not available to the public at the front desk. I think I have them for all the districts in the MBSNF and maybe a couple districts east of the crest. Yes, these maps do show a few trails that are no longer on any map in print. For example, one map shows the Johnson Ridge trail going all the way east to the Crest trail. I am willing to loan out this stash again if anyone is serious about wanting to look these over and post the results when they find a trail that is no longer on current maps.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Oct 31, 2017 3:52 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I guess the list of abandoned trails has gone abandoned wink.gif
Maybe I'll revive that project. It's been over 10 years since I put much effort into it. SF