Forum Index > Trail Talk > Walking makes you smarter.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 30, 2017 9:10 am 
At first glance you wouldn't think anybody in here needs any encouragement to get out. But I know that's not true. Some days I don't feel like braving the crowds, and judging from some of the threads complaining about crowds, I'm not alone. But I'm not here to complain about trailhead parking, I want to share something I read about a side benefit of walking the trail, or anywhere else. In a study done at the University of British Columbia, researchers found that regular aerobic exercise, the kind that gets your heart and your sweat glands pumping, appears to boost the size of the hippocampus, the brain area involved in verbal memory and learning. Resistance training, balance and muscle toning exercises did not have the same results. ... Almost all of the research has looked at walking, including the latest study. “It’s likely that other forms of aerobic exercise that get your heart pumping might yield similar benefits,” says Dr. McGinnis. https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/regular-exercise-changes-brain-improve-memory-thinking-skills-201404097110

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message