Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
Tom wrote:
I never personally met or had interactions with Fred. As far as womanizing, I recall hearing (10+ years ago) he would be invited to CC socials and he would ask they bring more young women for him
As you point out, you never met Fred, and your info is second hand. Those pub club things were stupid sausage fests (except when Beck was throwing chairs). So what if he wanted more chicks there, who didn't.
There actually was one individual in this thread who claimed to personally witness bad behavior and that person was ridiculed, treated rudely, told to keep quiet, and dismissed by many of Fred Beckey's fans in this thread. In light of that, it is not difficult to think the request of MeganBond would be met with reluctance. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 25, 2018 12:32 am 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
As you point out, you never met Fred, and your info is second hand. Those pub club things were stupid sausage fests (except when Beck was throwing chairs). So what if he wanted more chicks there, who didn't.
Well, I was pointing out that Freesolo's comments jive with some things I'd heard about Fred over a decade before this thread. I don't recall it being told in a negative light, more humor than anything. Does it matter if I was there or heard it second hand? Sounds like those who knew him wouldn't disagree Fred was a womanizer. And along with the other aspects of his personality it could explain why some interactions could have been viewed in a negative light, whether warranted or not.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 25, 2018 2:09 am 
Rumi, I think editorializing what what said is a bit unfair (and counter-productive to the extent there are noble reasons for the follow up query). Going back and reviewing Megan's comments I don't see that she called anyone a liar. She felt Fred was misunderstood. There's a lot of context to what was said.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Apr 25, 2018 8:18 am 
Tom wrote:
Rumi, I think editorializing what what said is a bit unfair
My remark has been edited. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostWed Apr 25, 2018 11:33 am 
I HOPE MEGAN’S BOOK IS ALL CAPS

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSat May 05, 2018 1:53 pm 
Wow, I did not realize this thread was still going...seems like I have stirred the pot a bit. Freds death has actually got me thinking more and more about my current life, and is hitting me harder every passing month. The more I find out about Fred, and after watching the movie about his life, the more and more I realize how similar I am to him. Many of his flaws, passions, interests, quirks, thoughts and outloks on life are nearly identical to mine (except for the womanizing part since I have no idea how to strike up conversations with random women at a bar haha). I even started living the dirtbag life well before I even knew anything about Fred. I am starting to wish I was able to spend more time with him apart from the 60 seconds I saw him at the 2012 Bulger Party. I may not be a prominent person in the climbing commnity by any means, but I really do feel a connection to him more than many of my climbing friends appear to have, even ones who knew Fred very well. I just would like to extend a big thanks to Megan for caring for Fred in his latter years and I wish you luck with the biography.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com