Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:13 pm 
Lutzman wrote:
Can't even have an obituary thread without somebody getting 'triggered'...
Agreed. It's silly how some people got triggered because someone posted 7 little words about what they experienced with Fred: "sexism and lack of respect for women." Instead of ignoring it, they decided to tell us how they feel about "social justice" and "culture wars" and whatever else. Talk about getting off topic.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 5:06 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
I'll be sure to poach radka's obit and call him out for being a spineless whiner.
I won't get too involved in this debate, but I do agree with you tom, an obituary thread isn't the place to defame the character of whoever has passed away, whether he was misogynist or not. A new thread can be opened to discuss that. However, I thought radka was a woman? Her original reply indicated that I thought? Anyways, I am still saddened about his death. I can even count how many times I have flipped through his books.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 5:30 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
It's silly how some people got triggered because someone posted 7 little words about what they experienced with Fred
Ain't that the truth! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 6:15 pm 
It is the price of fame. People are still debating the character of Abe Lincoln, Robert E. Lee, JFK, RFK, Ty Cobb, Michael Jackson and just about anyone famous. it doesn't stop when their dead in fact it intensifies. So it goes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Lutzman

Lutzman
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 8:28 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
Agreed. It's silly how some people got triggered because someone posted 7 little words about what they experienced with Fred:
I was referring to the person(s) making the unfounded claim that Fred is an "oppressor," and "sexist" and "abuser" of women.

"Don't trust anyone who tells you it's all been done. They're either an outright poseur, or you're being sandbagged."
neek

neek
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 9:16 pm 
Nothing here is going to damage Fred's legacy, people should stop being so sensitive and let others speak about things that are important to them. I didn't know Fred but his work was an inspiration to me. Will make it through Range of Glaciers one of these days...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
I'll be sure to poach radka's obit and call him out for being a spineless whiner.
What a bunch of twaddle. Tom you don't have a clue. Next time you decide to upbraid someone you should do some basic research.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 pm 
Fred signed my books and was nice to me. That is all I know first hand. #FredBeckeyMattered

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 pm 
Just a reminder that personal attacks on other members are off limits. Keep it civil. Thank you.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 1:36 am 
This thread saddens me. I'm not saddened because Fred Beckey has died. He lived his life to the fullest, and he spent all of it doing what he loved best. I admire his climbing accomplishments, and I am grateful for all the information he published. Both his climbing ability and his knowledge were outstanding. And I'm not saddened because people have described the mix of traits that formed his personality. I only met him briefly a few times, but I've enjoyed the many stories published here and elsewhere by people who traveled and climbed with him. Those stories have included his climbing, but also his notorious frugality, his sometimes abrasive conduct in groups, and his incessant pursuit of women. It's clear that his personality was as outsized as his accomplishments, and I'm glad that the stories show that. What value is a memorial thread if it only shows an edited, sanitized version of someone, instead of the real person? And I'm not saddened that Radka posted a comment that named the harmful side of Beckey's behavior toward women. The memorial process ultimately isn't about the person who died. He's already gone. It's about his impact on the community that remembers him. And that community includes people who were hurt by his behavior. They deserve to be able to name that impact. I am saddened and offended by some of the responses to Radka's comment. Radka posted a single line, very concisely mentioning both Beckey's accomplishments and his sexism.
radka wrote:
His climbing pursuits and explorations are as legendary as his sexism and lack of respect for women. #itscomplicated
Responders could have simply acknowledged her perspective and accepted that some members of climbing community didn't enjoy the way they were treated by Beckey. Instead, they condemned the poster. They insisted on silence and denial, rather than honesty. They turned this thread into a nasty string of criticisms and even personal attacks. So now, in the face of those criticisms and justifications, we once again have to deal with sexism in the mountaineering community, not by Beckey in the past, but by people posting here and now. When someone makes repeated persistent unwanted sexual advances toward someone else, it should never be justified or minimized or dismissed as innocent "flirting." It's harassment, it does real harm, and it should be outspokenly condemned by everyone in the community, men as well as women. I'd have liked to keep this thread to just hearing everyone's stories and thoughts about Beckey. But it was turned into something else by the people who attacked one woman for speaking a thought that they didn't like.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
gb

gb
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 7:56 am 
The problem is, that one woman's comments were not based on what she knew about Fred, but rather on what she had heard. To what extent her "observations" are true none of us really know. Fred had a "reputation" for being a womanizer, and there is nothing wrong with liking or pursuing the opposite sex. That "reputation" though doesn't speak at all about his abusing woman in any way. Perhaps most recently only Megan Bond knows how Fred treated women. For myself, surrounding my experiences with Fred, I saw none of this. I did hear him say a couple of times, I'd like to get her phone number, regarding some woman. What I saw mostly was an individual so very driven by his pursuit of new places and new routes. What I didn't see was Fred opening up or sharing about other things besides climbing. That doesn't mean he never did, it just means I never saw it, just as Radka never saw Fred's womanizing, let alone his "supposed" abuse of women.

radka

radka
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 9:19 am 
No. This is the problem:
Quote:
one woman's comments were not based on what she knew about Fred, but rather on what she had heard. To what extent her "observations" are true none of us really know.
And this:
Quote:
just as Radka never saw Fred's womanizing, let alone his "supposed" abuse of women.
And this:
Quote:
the unfounded claim
And this:
Quote:
Fake news
I stated early on that I personally witnessed this behavior. Mr. Beckey was doing something unwanted, he was asked to stop, and he didn't. I saw it along with many others. Why am I here repeating what I said in the first place? Why wasn't what I said taken at face value the first time around? This is exactly the problem with sexism - when those who are affected by it point it out, they must be silenced and made irrelevant. They are told their stories are lies. It went from me stating that I witnessed something to "Radka never saw Fred's womanizing". But I did and I already said that several days ago. This is the very problem I am talking about and it's very pervasive and it's playing out right here, right now. If you are a man whose conduct is good, why would you have the need to defend yourself here? I am not going to participate any more in this thread because I refuse to continue doing this labor for men. It's up to men to hold each other accountable. It's for men to undo this.

The future is yard birds
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 am 
Well put, Matt and Radka. Matt - you did a good job of articulating what I was struggling to articulate yesterday, but opted not to because I could not find such a good string of words. Thank you for putting in the effort to share your thoughts so well. Radka, I'm saddened that some have responded as they have. And I'm sorry I didn't muster the right words to share my thoughts as Matt did. I know that some believe in a policy of "don't speak ill of the dead" (and to be clear you did also laud his accomplishments in your terse first comment) but some of the responses have gone clearly beyond that concern. FWIW it is possible that at least some missed your followup where you explained that you saw this in person - such is the way with long threads like this one; but I don't think that fully explains all the responses and in any case one could always start by asking if unsure rather than asserting that this was second-hand info... And as Malachai Constant explained, public figures tend to be considered by most to be fair game for full examinations, even after death.

Lutzman

Lutzman
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 am 
radka wrote:
Why wasn't what I said taken at face value the first time around? This is exactly the problem with sexism - when those who are affected by it point it out, they must be silenced and made irrelevant. They are told their stories are lies.
Forgive me for being a skeptical when someone on the internet who I have never met and do not know is to calling someone I knew personally an oppressor and abuser of women... Why aren't your stories being taken at face value? Because you haven't told any stories. You just labeled him and vaguely said you witnessed 'something.' If he committed a form of harassment, I don't condone that whatsoever but you're making it sound like women were raped by him. According to you, were not allowed to question the actual conduct or severity of it we just have to take your word for it that he committed abuse and should be labeled as such. Sorry for thinking thats unfair.

"Don't trust anyone who tells you it's all been done. They're either an outright poseur, or you're being sandbagged."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 12:16 pm 
Why not ask for clarification then rather than go on the attack? FWIW I didn't read her as in any way suggesting rape. But there are a range of behaviors well short of that which we should not silently tolerate. Do I know whether she's telling the truth or not? Or if what she considered to be unacceptable would meet my own bar there? No (though generally speaking being asked to stop should something should just stop it...). But I'm certainly not going to attack her here based on that lack of knowledge for her having spoken up.