Forum Index > Trip Reports > A morning with Mt Rainier - Pinnacle Saddle (Plummer + Denman) 10/29/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 10:54 am 
I wasn't going to post a report for this one, but I liked how the photos turned out and I have the day off so I figured what the heck. I've been sick since early October, going on what I think is a 3rd different cold now. I haven't been out much. Since I thought cold #2 was wrapping up I thought I'd head out on an easy hike to catch a sunrise and I decided on the Tatoosh Range south of Mount Rainier. I had done Plummer peak ~6 years ago and liked the views up there, plus I remember it being super easy so I though I'd start there and do Denman and Lane if I felt up for it. After an early wake up and drive in, I was hiking a hair after 6am. The trail was gradual and easy, not too taxing for my weakened state. There was some snow from a recent storm but it was melting out. There were a few icy patches but the trail is such an easy grade I never bothered putting on my microspikes I had with me. As the trail opens up and starts switchbacking up the west slopes of Pinnacle Peak the snow was thicker but melted out on the edge of the trail and mostly avoidable. Despite being an hour before sunrise, I was surprised how bright Rainier was! When I reached the Pinnacle saddle I was surprised to encounter a couple climbers / backpackers. "You're up early!" the guy said to me which I replied "You too!" They had climbed Plummer and Pinnacle the day before, camped, and were on their way to Castle and Foss. You can see their headlamps in the first photo below.
Early dawn colors
Early dawn colors
35 minutes before sunrise, 4s exposure
35 minutes before sunrise, 4s exposure
Adams 2
Adams 2
Adams 2
Adams 2
Goat Rocks
Goat Rocks
The dawn colors were pleasant. I was a little bummed there were zero clouds in the sky to catch some early morning light, but none the less the scenery was good. I spent quite a bit of time at the base of Plummer Peak taking some longer exposure shots. These low light conditions really bring out the limitations of my point and shoot, and I look to upgrade my equipment soon. After taking a bunch of photos at the base of Plummer I continued on to the summit, arriving about 15 minutes before sunrise. I spent a good 30-45 minutes on the summit enjoying the sunrise.
Western Tatoosh Peaks
Western Tatoosh Peaks
First light on Rainier
First light on Rainier
Mount Rainier at sunrise
Mount Rainier at sunrise
Timer selfie
Timer selfie
Morning light on Pinnacle
Morning light on Pinnacle
Wahpenayo
Wahpenayo
The progression of light over Rainier was fun, and the full alpenglow panorama was pretty spectacular.
First light
First light
Bathing in the early morning sun
Bathing in the early morning sun
The sun is up!
The sun is up!
Panorama at peak alpenglow
Panorama at peak alpenglow
After my summit stay on Plummer, I headed over to Denman which is kind of a dumpster peak. Not really that remarkable. Probably no reason to do this one unless you want to mark it off the list of peaks you've climbed. At least there was some interesting scenery on the way over. There was a steep loose gully to get to the summit and views weren't very good compared to Plummer.
Tarn 1
Tarn 1
Tarn 2
Tarn 2
Denman summit view
Denman summit view
I decided to skip Lane and just head back. I passed a few hikers on my way back to the car. Four hours round trip. On the drive back I passed on the opportunity to take some photos of some fall color trees south of the huge bridge over the Nisqually River which I regret, it was pretty scenic. I stopped and went down to the river, but it was kind of a dud. Still, a nice short trip with good views.
Pinnacle and a frozen tarn
Pinnacle and a frozen tarn
Pinnacle Peak
Pinnacle Peak
Plummer Peak
Plummer Peak
Nisqually River
Nisqually River
I think the Pinnacle Saddle trail is a great bang for the buck hike for people who don't hike much or prefer easier trips. I find myself recommending it often. For those who are sure footed, the extra stretch up to the summit of Plummer is well worth it. It's one of my favorite view points of Mount Rainier.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 11:03 am 
awilsondc wrote:
It's one of my favorite view points of Mount Rainier.
And this time of the year the low sun makes for good views of it all day long. Really nice photos. up.gif

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 4:54 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Mount Rainier at sunrise
Mount Rainier at sunrise
up.gif up.gif up.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe