Forum Index > Trip Reports > Paddy Go Easy Pass/Sprite Lake 10/30
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 3:35 pm 
Fortunately was able to sneak in a couple hikes right at the end of October before the weather window closed. Had been eyeballing this hike for years but had never got around to it previously. Snow free until the last couple hundred feet to the pass. Fairly crusted up, didn't punch thru much. Ran into 1 guy on his way down a little before the pass, didn't see anybody else. Around the pass reminded me a bit of Ingalls Lake--same type of orange tinted rock. Even saw a few bits of serpentine. Rambled around above the lake and up to the high point to the south of the pass before heading down. Looked like it would be fairly doable to go x-country to the north over toward Granite Mountain and Robin Lakes, I think I've seen a TR on here doing just that. A side note, there wasn't much color on the hike, but the drive along I-90 and out past Roslyn to the trailhead was lovely. Mostly yellow, but plenty bright still several days ago.

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 4:42 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
the pass reminded me a bit of Ingalls Lake--
Thats exactly how I describe it One of my favorite go-to hikes when, and as long as, the CleElum River Road is open. I really enjoy it when I'm not in the mood for a long strenuous adventure. I agree. A trip North to Robyn Lakes, out and down that way, would make for a very nice, late summer loop hike. It's a beautiful early winter and early spring snowshoe. I might go this coming Monday. Supposed to get some snow out that way between now and then Thanks for sharing

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 4:46 pm 
Also, I see 1 lone Larch in that photo. I've heard that this is just about as far west as you'll see any

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 4:53 pm 
Yeah, it stands out a bit. There was a lone larch well up the shoulder of Mt. David I noticed several weeks ago, too. Not sure which point is further west but probably fairly similar.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 6:37 pm 
Around the pass reminded me a bit of Ingalls Lake--same type of orange tinted rock. Even saw a few bits of serpentine.
The orange rock is peridotite I think. Whatever it is, it came from the mantle. Serpentine is the hydrothermally altered version of the same rock. Really interesting mines up above the pass in the peridotite. My geologist friend tells me the black matrix around the mine shafts is most likely sulphides from hot springs deposits. He speculates that the miners were looking for gold. Lots of expertise on this topic here at NWHikers, maybe someone else will weigh in. I have not been able to locate any mantle rock west of here, I believe it disappears under granitic rocks. I find it interesting - but most likely coincidental - that the larches reach their westernmost extent here as well, even though larches are bodenvag (capable of growing on both mantle and crustal rocks).

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 8:08 pm 
Nice pictures.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 9:11 pm 
Thanks Sculpin. I didn't know the name of the orange rock but had definitely noticed a correlation between that and serpentine. Sounds like I need to poke around some more up there, I didn't see any mines.

Type E

Type E
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 11:48 am 
There is a good tread to a mine southof the trail that starts Off a southern switchback . There are railroad tracks going into the mine and a torrent of water coming out of the mine. I guess the miners punched through to the water table . Pretty fun find

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 12:44 pm 
Wow, that sounds really cool Type E. It was snow covered approaching the pass, I'll give myself that as an excuse for not noticing a track heading off to the south.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Nov 04, 2017 2:22 pm 
Looked like it would be fairly doable to go x-country to the north over toward Granite Mountain and Robin Lakes, I think I've seen a TR on here doing just that.
Oh yeah, it goes. Very fun traverse with route flexibility. Tagging Sherpani is a must do if you do it.