Forum Index > Photography Talk > Panasonic LX100 sampler
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue May 05, 2015 5:08 pm 
After some consideration I decided on purchasing the Panasonic LX100 for outdoor endeavors this year. I wanted s smaller form factor than my previous camera, but one that had a decent sensor and video capability. I am far from a good photographer but wanted to post some video and sample photos after minimally reading the manual for those who might be contemplating a purchase . There are plenty of reviews out there if you do a minimal search. Of course the images are slightly compressed but I left them as large as I could for detail, employing only cropping on a few. The video is compressed for web but generally I am quite pleased with the quality of the 4K video and the detail that remains in down sampling to 1080P. I do employ a good UV filter. Note on the first time lapse: I shot in raw but I adjusted exposure a few times during the shooting, a big no no, and didn't do any raw tweaks.
barn crack
barn crack
Chandelier
Chandelier
fern
fern
flower in green
flower in green
flowers
flowers
green leaves
green leaves
leaf
leaf
Seattle moon
Seattle moon
to seed
to seed
Panasonic LX100 samples from Willis Wall on Vimeo.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jun 03, 2015 11:22 pm 
Thanks for posting these, especially the video. With online display I don't think it's possible to get a look at stills. I've kind of already decided on the LX100 as my next camera, as soon as my current one dies. The video does look good but still gets my dander up. First 1080p was supposed to be super sharp, and now 4k is twice as many vertical pixels (I wish they'd be consistent about which dimension to measure). Regardless of how many literal pixels there are, there's still way too much compression going on and it still lacks the clarity that a real quality video camera produces. So while it's better and I like the small form factor, I just don't like the misrepresentation in the advertising.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 1:34 am 
WillisWall, do you mostly shoot automatic with this camera or do you adjust the settings? You've taken a lot of nice pictures this year!

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 7:28 am 
Bernardo, most of the time I'm on auto with manual exposure adjustment. For dark and flowing water shots the manual controls are easily accessed. This is not a good camera for star shots, however, and the zoom is just OK. Overall tho I've been really happy with the results despite the compromises for such a compact camera.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 2:53 pm 
I've had my LX100 for about three months and love it. Haven't had it out backpacking yet, but it didn't take long to fall head-over-heels in love with the easy to use controls. Once I set things the way I like them, I almost never have to look at the stupid LCD to change settings. 90% of the things I'll ever use are either a manual knob/swtich/slider or under a pre-programmed button. Don't need glasses, don't have to remove gloves. I bought the spendy trendy ($40) auto-open lens cap, which makes it the fastest handling manual-capable P&S I've tried. I initially sneered at the built-in HDR mode but after trying it have gone so far as to dedicate one of the programmable buttons to it. It produces nicely balanced, mostly realistic shots in awkward lighting situations (as long as neither the camera nor the subject is moving). Picture quality is fine for my purposes. If you intend to print larger photos you might not be happy with "only" 12.8 megapixels, but for digital viewing I'm happy as a clam. My biggest complaint at this point is that the lens insists on extending just for pulling pics off over USB. I'm sure I'll have others when I get it out into rough conditions.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 am 
Any updates on camera recommendations for the 2017 hiking season?

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 11:37 am 
Still a good camera...4K video really nice, and last year I was able to squeeze some ok night photography out of it. All a compromise but the size factor, able to fit in a strap pocket, along with easy manual controls keeps it viable.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 2:50 pm 
I've had my LX-100 for a season and a half, and really have only two complaints: picture quality at long zoom is poor, and the exposure compensation ring is too easy to accidentally bump out of place. (Drawing a heavy line on it with a Sharpie helps with the latter.) Manual controls and near-perfect viewfinder are the bomb. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 12:25 am 
Well, it seems the mother board has crapped out on this camera. And for the past year I have a dust spot on the sensor, a complaint that others have reported. With less than 3 years of use I have to say this is unacceptable build quality. Despite all the reasons I have cited above for liking this camera, I will not replace it with another Lumix.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 12:10 pm 
Ugh. Mine's still going strong with a clean sensor...I hope yours is the anomaly, not mine. What are the symptoms of the "crapped out" motherboard? Total death?

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 10:02 pm 
texasbb wrote:
at are the symptoms of the "crapped out" motherboard? Total death?
A very quick death....failure to open or close, at first fixed by reseating the battery. Then colored hashed lines in the display. This happened at the beginning of my hike last Sunday but subsided for the rest of the day, allowing me to continue taking photos. Then, towards the end, just total failure. New battery didn't help, now it just won't turn on. A new mother board is $250 to $300 with self installation. As for the dust on the sensor, search the web and you will find people complaining about it, with no way to clean it. I hope yours fares better than mine.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 6:31 pm 
Those motherboard symptoms describe how most of my Canon cameras died after a couple of years, when I was a major Canon fan. I just retired a Panasonic M4/3 due to spots on the sensor that would not go away no matter how much I cleaned the sensor. I read that was a common problem. Crap would work its way under the top layer of the sensor and then be uncleanable, according to a number of reports. I just picked up a Panny G85 (NOT GX85) that is supposed to be water and dust resistant. I hope it does better. The plus side of the upgrade is the G85 does a MUCH better panorama than my previous panny. Not a pocket size camera though. The 12-60(24-120 equivalent) kit lens rocks with amazing anti-shake with this combo.

friluftsliv