Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Daylight savings time
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 7:26 am 
Every year I find myself hating DST more. The inconvenience, the dark mornings and evenings and the bother of clock changing and readapting to a different schedule. I really think we should do away with the time change as other states have done. Apparently, it's not so great for your health either.... https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/daylight-savings-hurting-our-health-say-scientists rant.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 8:30 am 
Get rid of timezones completely. Who cares where the computer you are doing business with at the moment is physically located. If everyone just used UTC we wouldn't have to worry about either DST or timezone confusion. Unlike switching to the metric system (which also would make a megagram of sense), this would be easy to implement.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 9:44 am 
I agree with Lookout Bob, but Neek, that might be taking things too far. That computer your dealing with usually needs to be connected to a human. I don't want to intrude on them at odd hours and I don't want someone trying to Skype me at 2:00 a.m., or whatever hour, because they don't know where on Earth I am and whether it is night, noon, or morning, for me.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 1:22 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
the dark mornings and evenings
Pick one or the other, as you don't get both. If you don't like dark in the mornings and evenings, don't blame DST or Standard Time. Blame winter... Standard time (Nov - March) is when noon aligns with the sun's high point in the sky. When we're on standard time we get an hour more light in the AM. Daylight Saving Time (April - October) we get an hour more light in the evenings. Personally, at our latitude I prefer DST over Standard Time as I enjoy the extended light in the evenings. If we were on standard time in the summer, it would be getting light out at 4am, and even though I get up at 5am on weekdays, that's a bit of a waste of daylight for my schedule. I prefer the additional daylight in the evenings, when I have more time for "non work" extra curricular activities like hiking. Again, that's my preference, and I fully understand others my have more of their free time in the early morning.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 1:59 pm 
Only white man think he can cut off one end of blanket, add it to the other end and have a longer blanket. shakehead.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 2:51 pm 
Good one, Chief! This year I did not set my clocks back. After all, we'll be back on Daylight time in just 4 months! My wrist watch requires setting ahead for 24 hours, a half hour job, and now I've lost the instructions. I just have to remember that it's an hour fast for the next 4 months. Anyway, my cell phone, adjusted automatically by Verizon, is always with me, so if I'm not sure, I can check that. If we stayed on DST year around, the winter sun (on the rare days it's visible) would set at 5:30 pm instead of 4:30. On the other side, with DST, those who use air conditioning turn it up when they get home from work, which is actually the hottest time of the day. So DST is not saving any energy! It's the changing back and forth that's really maddening!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 3:13 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Only a politician thinks he can cut off one end of blanket, add it to the other end and have a longer blanket. shakehead.gif
And actually, this was the original joke and I am pretty sure you didn't intend to make a racist joke, so I fixed it for you.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 4:22 pm 
Ha, Ha, the original joke may have been about politicians, don't know that for a fact. But it's definitely true about VOTERS. Ya know, in this country the two are connected. "Let's cut taxes and increase spending". Ya sure, ya betcha. How 'bout that for thread drift.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 6:22 pm 
The benefit for Kids’ outdoor sports is sufficient for me to support PDT. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 9:55 pm 
Who cares. It's one measly hour! I can't get much done in 60 minutes anyway But, I can accomplish the same tasks in daylight that I can when it's dark. That single hour doesn't affect me or my psyche. The whole of winter, combined with this west of the crest region, sometimes does though I need a winter home, and, occupation in Chelan or Yakima

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 11:05 pm 
New England is talking about joining the Atlantic Time zone along with Eastern Canadian Provinces, go Newfies!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 12:01 am 
I completely understand why two - or three or four - homes are needed in different parts of the country.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 3:33 am 
Anyone who wants to take away an hour from every summer evening so that dawn can come before 4 am is evil almost beyond belief. The time change is such a short and tiny inconvenience that complaining about it is crazy. Daylight saving time is a huge health benefit overall, getting people outside more each day for months. The phony "it hurts your health" garbage is based only on the actual time of the clock changes. People against DST never mention how they want to destroy every summer evening and every decent night's sleep. The story about the blanket is the dumbest thing ever written. The native American in the story would never let some machine tell him when to rise or sleep, the sun would do that, so a daily DST would be his life all the time. Imagine someone in a preindustrial society getting up at the same time every day despite the time of year. Ludicrous. The story is just typical illogical government bashing nonsense.

neek

neek
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 6:46 am 
Indeed the article was a complete waste of time, but at least it was short. DST is an easy subject for "content creators" to latch onto twice a year to deliver a few more ads. People travel between timezones all the time and learn to adjust their schedules. Here is a more thoughtful (and longer, so an ever bigger waste of time) article arguing the opposite view: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a18011/in-defense-of-daylight-saving-time/ Having dealt with archaic computer systems that don't handle DST well but are critical for factory operations, I've never been a fan. Also, putting kids to bed at 8pm when the sun is still shining sucks. I also suspect the confusion caused by DST (missed appointments, workers arriving late, the cumulative effect of billions of people spending a few seconds manually adjusting clocks, extra software complexity that leads to bugs) produces a slightly negative effect on the economy. But whatever, let the people have their nonlinear calendars and I'll stick with UTC when I need any sort of temporal sanity.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 3:05 pm 
It's simple really...it's all about the positive and the negative, any benefit gained from DLST is lost on the flip side, so it is basically a waste of time. It might benefit one person but not the other, get it? And yes, pretty sure the white guys came up with this ridiculous idea. Mankind simply wants to control everything in life, sad really.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.