Forum Index > Trail Talk > Easy winter backpacking areas?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Miss Hiker Pants

Miss Hiker Pants
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 7:09 am 
I was considering taking my dogs out with me on a winter backpack trip. I live in the Pierce County area. One of my dogs is old, so 4 miles in is about his pace. The other fellow needs a little space from on coming dogs. I had considered Lena Lake, but not sure how popular it will be even in the winter months. I don't want to drive in snow if possible, I don't have 4 wheel drive but I do have chains. Being older makes it hard to find friends to play in the cold months, so I would no doubt be alone. Love to hear some suggestions.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 9:41 am 
If you try http://www.wta.org/go-outside/hikes There's an option to limit the maximum elevation (gain as well). You could pick anything below the snow level at the time (2000 feet is pretty safe). Select dog friendly, 4-5 miles maximum, and established campsites and you'll have a list of options that includes Lena.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 1:41 pm 
Check out Juniper Dunes. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/juniper-dunes-wilderness https://www.recreation.gov/recreationalAreaDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&recAreaId=13412 There is a wilderness section as well as an ORV area, but the wilderness section is pretty unique and cool to visit.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 3:28 pm 
These are not in Pierce county, but might work for winter overnights. Middle Fork Snoqualmie River trail, Baker Lake East Bank trail, Chuckanut Mountains (near Bellingham), which has some designated backcountry sites at lakes. Monitor WTA trip reports to see where folks are going and what the conditions are for ideas. Edited to add: Craig Romano's Olympic hiking guide has a chart that categorizes hikes by, among other things, year-round, dog-friendly, and difficulty. Could be a good resource for you. Ranger Rock posts Trip Reports that are off the beaten path and dog friendly. Here's a recent trip report to the old Dosewallips Ranger Station that sounded nice. Don't know about the dog rules, but the hike is on a decommissioned road to a decommissioned campground. Can't imagine why dogs wouldn't be allowed.