Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lowell Skoog article in Seattle Times
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chico

Chico
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 1:32 am 
Lowell is featured in a current Seattle Times article.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 9:12 am 
Thanks for the link. It went good with my coffee this morning. My girlfriend gave me a teaser last week when she seen it listed as an upcoming article. Great little bit of history and insight on a man I've never met, but highly admire. Me, and every back country skiier I know. We are highly fortunate to have someone of such strong character to have been the curator of the pnw mountain culture. Not only does Lowell record, recreate, and even make history, the skooges have somewhat directed the pnw's ski future. I owe much of what I've seen and experienced directly to them. I giggled at his son's 'not cool' comment. I seen Lowell once at a ski hall of fame event in Seattle. Just as described, he was wearing a fanny pack, and possibly cargo shorts. My girlfriend commented, and I shamed her. Doesn't she know who he is? Admittedly star struck, I never went and asked for an autograph wink.gif. Untrue though. Once highly active in trip reporting, one of my most memorable moments was when Lowell said".. what you guys did up there this year.. very cool.." while nothing extreme, just a winter of exploring what some consider not all that great, hearing this from the man made it very cool to me. I don't care if no one else thought so, or if he does wear a fanny pack. While not a motive, his interest makes ski adventuring a more rewarding experience for all. Ive had no bigger feeling of elation then sitting at a picnic table at the end of a pickets traverse trying to recreate the famous skooges photo. Not because of what we had done, but redone. They where on our minds, in our words, huge inspirations, and with us throughout. Thanks Lowell and the Skooge family. Sincerely..

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 9:29 am 
Very well done article on one of our NW legends. ale's tribute is also nicely put up.gif

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 6:15 pm 
I had the privilege of spending a week in Mexico with Carl in the 90s. A prince of a human being and total class act.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 6:47 pm 
I'm always surprised at how young Lowell Skoog is. Given the amount of incredible things he has done, I always assume he must be older. Neat article - thank you for sharing!

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 6:53 pm 
The Skoogs trip across the Pickets inspired us to make our first trip. The Alpinglow Gallery is a hidden treasure.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 pm 
I'm really glad this journalist did such a nice job on this article. It's nice to know all the cool stuff someone like Lowell has done - and know it while he's still alive so folks can simply know it and admire him that much more when we see him. It's sad when people don't know about out all the cool stuff about a person until their retirement party, or to read about them after they passed away. But enough of that. NICE article about Lowell Skoog. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
marydave
Musical Hikers

marydave
Musical Hikers
PostTue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm 
I worked with Lowell and Steph, went on some outings with them in the 80's; we attended each other's weddings. I feel the article was excellent, capturing the scope of his achievements and his modesty about them.