Forum Index > Trip Reports > Valley of Fire State Park NV Nov 13-14, 2017 Geology extraordinaire
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Nov 18, 2017 12:43 pm 
Caught a nasty cold on my last day in Zion. Found a home in a walk-in campsite at VofF State Park. An awesome place of collision between sandstone and limestone. Great for desert scrambling with short trips and little vertical, yet a surprising sense of fulfillment. Perfect for recuperating from a cold. Courtney Purcell Rambles and Scrambles as my guide. Nov 13: Rest, then shower and a shave in the campground. By noon I could do something. The Pinnacles Trail is a nice open Mojave Desert walk to some pretty pink sandstone pinnacles and gargoyles. The remains of a limestone scarp overthrust onto the sandstone rests as an eroded face looming above the hoodoos. A summit named Gregg Peak tops the thrust. Sheared conglomerate and limestone face sat in between sloping sandstone and the summit. Just right for my energy level. West Face to the top, downsloping east slope back to the campground to complete a suitable loop.
Pinnacles Trail To the notch
Pinnacles Trail To the notch
missing horn
missing horn
aztec formation color
aztec formation color
pinks
pinks
The Pinnacles appear
The Pinnacles appear
Into the Pinnacles
Into the Pinnacles
Gregg Peak above
Gregg Peak above
crest of trail loop
crest of trail loop
Up to Gregg Peak
Up to Gregg Peak
West Face conglomerate scramble
West Face conglomerate scramble
Down at the Pinnacles
Down at the Pinnacles
tortured earth
tortured earth
random bouts of color
random bouts of color
Gregg Peak; Valley of Fire State Park, NV
Gregg Peak; Valley of Fire State Park, NV
hmm
hmm
Enough time left to walk across the campground toward a sandstone blob with fun routefinding up its' NE side for a second summit, named by CP as Weekapaug. Great to get your scramblin' groove on. Leave the petrified wood trail and head to the northeast base of the peak. A long rising diagonal gets up the east side of the mountain. First, I took a nice low angle sandstone rib climbers left of an obvious vegetated ramp from the northeast base. That led to a beautiful 35 degree slab of solid sandstone (looks steeply improbable from the visitor center). A few solid boulders then lead to a key groove that takes one into a hidden meadow basin below the top. Three peaks vie for the highest from the meadow area view. I believe the highest is the SE. A logical solid sandstone ramp leads up, then finish on south. I climbed all three. Of the two summits that lie to the SW of the meadow, the southeastern of the two is short (20 feet) class 5 layback crack followed by an exposed and chickenheaddy little low angle face. Scary and unnecessary as it is not the highest. Foolishly risky downclimb for me.
Petrified wood trail
Petrified wood trail
Limestone Muddy Mtns
Limestone Muddy Mtns
Weekapaug Summit from false one
Weekapaug Summit from false one
GreggWeekapaug
GreggWeekapaug
Nov 14: Still feeling weak and sick, I took my time about a nice canyon loop to a very aesthetic little sandstone peak scramble called the Crimson Staircase. Another great solid little scramble. I took CP's route downclimbing the boulder chokes in Fire Canyon (Mouses Tank), fun. Then up a side drainaige until I could see the southside.
Mouses Tank Crimson Staircase
Mouses Tank Crimson Staircase
parting art
parting art
morning art
morning art
Mouse Tank Trail
Mouse Tank Trail
Descent below dryfall tank
Descent below dryfall tank
A slot section
A slot section
Fun downclimbing
Fun downclimbing
More canyon
More canyon
Side canyon climb
Side canyon climb
Hidden meadow
Hidden meadow
Wrong turn, slot will correct
Wrong turn, slot will correct
It is all there like in his description although what is the actual staircase? Anyway, get up the south broad gully/trough/basin. The only route that continues as a scramble leads right to the key blind corner ledge mentioned in the route beta. Then up more steep sandstone ribs/slopes to a short Class 4 chimney (why he doesn't mention this I don't know). Beyond, easy routefinding on more Class 3 rock leads to the summit.
Crimson staircase start
Crimson staircase start
On top of Crimson Staircase
On top of Crimson Staircase
View to campground
View to campground
Valley of Fire overview
Valley of Fire overview
The south route on descent
The south route on descent
Up at route
Up at route
Key ledge to blind corner
Key ledge to blind corner
Whole route
Whole route
I returned by paralleling Fire Wash back to the Mouses Tank on a high traverse on the southside of the wash.
X-country traverse back
X-country traverse back
more traversing
more traversing
Missed this before
Missed this before
Art near Mouse Tank
Art near Mouse Tank
More art
More art
In the late afternoon I explored a couple colorful canyon washes that connect to form a mostly trailless 3 or 4 mile loop. Forks of a wash called Kaolin on the map.
Kaolin Wash Loop
Kaolin Wash Loop
Afternoon in side fork Kaolin Wash
Afternoon in side fork Kaolin Wash
Up side fork with arch
Up side fork with arch
Came up right turn down left
Came up right turn down left
From where I came
From where I came
Descending Kaolin Wash
Descending Kaolin Wash
Kaolin leads to a slot
Kaolin leads to a slot
short slot
short slot
textures of rock and sky
textures of rock and sky
Down Kaolin
Down Kaolin
Looking back
Looking back
Sunset by VoF road
Sunset by VoF road
Valley of Fire State Park, NV
Valley of Fire State Park, NV

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ree

ree
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 9:20 am 
Nice to know there are other slots to see in Vegas. Nyuk, nyuk. Thanks for posting. Nice up.gif

Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 9:39 am 
That is the only blue sky I have seen this week John, thanks! Jealous!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 9:27 pm 
Down at the Pinnacles and Random Bouts of Color are spectacular photos! Interesting geology/morphology. Now I gotta read up more on that. My brother loves that kind of topography and I will ask if he's been there; if not, he will once I show him these photos!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 10:06 pm 
John, thanks for another fantastic report. Your documentation is artful and useful. I have explored Fire Wash and a little of the mouse tank area before, looking for petroglyphs, but didn't find any. You must be really good at finding them. Looking forward to spending more time in VOF. I'll be based out of Vegas Nov-May from now on. Just arrived here late last night (did Charleston/Lee/Mummy today). I don't know if you're still in the area, but I'll be free from business again after December 8th. It would be great to connect.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Nov 24, 2017 11:38 am 
Just got out of a few days at Mojave National Preserve. Now Death Valley. Thanks all, I appreciate the interest.
Gimpilator wrote:
John, thanks for another fantastic report. Your documentation is artful and useful. I have explored Fire Wash and a little of the mouse tank area before, looking for petroglyphs, but didn't find any. You must be really good at finding them. Looking forward to spending more time in VOF.
I'll always share location info Adam if interested.
Gimpilator wrote:
I'll be based out of Vegas Nov-May from now on. Just arrived here late last night (did Charleston/Lee/Mummy today). I don't know if you're still in the area, but I'll be free from business again after December 8th. It would be great to connect.
Wish I could stay but I have to start north with a stop on the way at Death Valley for my last few days. Don't do everything within 3 hours of Vegas until I can get back next Nov! Maybe save the Arrow Peaks for when I can join you then! I know they will call you prior to that but I'd love to do some similar aesthetic scrambles with you someday. John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
silence

silence
PostSat Nov 25, 2017 11:44 am 
VOF is a blast ... though they are making it harder for hikers with curfews. Still because you're so fast on your feet you managed to get out there! Great pix!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
ree

ree
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 11:07 am 
Gimpilator wrote:
I'll be based out of Vegas Nov-May from now on. Just arrived here late last night (did Charleston/Lee/Mummy today). I don't know if you're still in the area, but I'll be free from business again after December 8th. It would be great to connect.
Lucky you. We did Fletcher Peak in that area near Charleston. The bristlecones there are fantastic.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 11:36 am 
Really spectacular landscape, and photos of it. Thanks for the post. It looks like a place that is really fun to explore, as you did.