Forum Index > Gear Talk > Lightweight glove underneath Mitten Set Up
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 am 
Another option is to get the "flip top" mittens. They are basically short finger gloves with a mitten hood. I use them a lot for photography in the winter. Not as warm as using full mittens over liners, but better than removing gloves and ending up taking more shots or spending longer on the shot and fingers going completely numb. The other trick is to stuff those disposable handwarmers in the back side of your gloves. And if you only need them for part of the hike, usually associated with elevation gain, you can turn them off by stuffing them in a sealed zip lock baggie and using them another time. (about a week max storage in baggie before losing oomph.)

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cartman

cartman
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 8:14 pm 
I didn't know about the baggie trick for chemical hand warmers, but that makes sense since they need O2 to work. How reliable are partially used ones to reactivate once the baggie is opened?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 pm 
cartman wrote:
I didn't know about the baggie trick for chemical hand warmers, but that makes sense since they need O2 to work. How reliable are partially used ones to reactivate once the baggie is opened?
Reliable for me. I often double baggie them to be sure. I used to have a half hour walking commute, and would only need them in the morning in the winter. I would get a 5 day work week out of one pair this way with a bit of warmth for the weekend. And remember you always need to plan ahead with the warmers, as they take about 15-20 minutes to warm up, even new. Plan ahead! And of course, you never get a full 8 hours out of "8 hour hand warmers" even under ideal conditions.

friluftsliv
rossb

rossb
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 am 
I use a three layer system. The liner glove I like most is the Power Stretch version made by Mountain Hardware. It is more water resistant than polypro or wool liners, while providing just as much dexterity. Over that I wear a double layered wool mitt. These breathe really well, and provide plenty of warmth. Over that I wear a thin shell, like the OR version mentioned earlier. The system is very flexible and plenty warm.