Forum Index > Trail Talk > "What's this rock? What's that landform?"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostFri Mar 30, 2018 3:25 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Most people would have put it in their pack to put in their rock garden back home.
The thought definitely crossed my mind... I used to be a collector of rocks, but somehow they always look better where I found them then they do at home. I still bring smaller ones home from time to time! I think this is the first piece of petrified wood I have found in the area, and it's the largest one I've found ever. Naneum is only about 15 mi from Gingko, so I'm sure it could be related! It would be interesting to know what kind of tree it was, I'm sure that would help answer questions of origin and age.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Mar 31, 2018 7:44 am 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
and any vertical orientation just a happenstance of sedimentology
huh.gif There is a site with ample petrified wood a few miles from Ginkgo. The wood is in a matrix of what I assumed was ash, very light in color. There are numerous upright trunks coming up out of the ash, so I figured the trees were standing when the ash came in. One is exposed right down to the original soil line and you can even see the roots branching away from the bole.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Mar 31, 2018 7:53 am 
Sculpin wrote:
Ringangleclaw wrote:
and any vertical orientation just a happenstance of sedimentology
huh.gif There is a site with ample petrified wood a few miles from Ginkgo. The wood is in a matrix of what I assumed was ash, very light in color. There are numerous upright trunks coming up out of the ash, so I figured the trees were standing when the ash came in. One is exposed right down to the original soil line and you can even see the roots branching away from the bole.
I've never seen that site, so I can't comment. I wasn't aware of in-situ forests until I stumbled on this article this morning in response to your post http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2007/apr/22/15-million-year-old-petrified-trees-discovered/ This is a good link by (I believe) a UW biology professor

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
I wasn't aware of in-situ forests until I stumbled on this article this morning in response to your post
That is a fascinsting article stating that a wide variety of hardwood trees was engulfed in growth position by lava, unlike the ginkgo trees at the state park, which were transported and buried rather than being growing. and engulfed. It is good scientific methodology to investigate the details of specific cases rather than jumping to a pre-mature conclusion. Thanks for finding the article and posting the link, Ringangleclaw, and to you, Sculpin, for the incentive for him (an assumption there) to find the article.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Mar 31, 2018 8:35 pm 
Here's the link I forgot to put on my post for Thomas Dillhoff's web page about the Miocene petrified wood inside the CRBs. https://www.evolvingearth.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/part1introduction.pdf I wonder if the in-situ petrified forest was engulfed by basalt or was a forest growing upon a glade upon the basalt, and an Ellensburg Formation lahar buried the forest. Soon thereafter further Saddle Mountain basalts covered the in-situ Ellensbug entombed forest.

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostSat Mar 31, 2018 8:54 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
Here's the link I forgot to put on my post for Thomas Dillhoff's web page about the Miocene petrified wood inside the CRBs. https://www.evolvingearth.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/part1introduction.pdf I wonder if the in-situ petrified forest was engulfed by basalt or was a forest growing upon a glade upon the basalt, and an Ellensburg Formation lahar buried the forest. Soon thereafter further Saddle Mountain basalts covered the in-situ Ellensbug entombed forest.
This is a great article for anyone following this thread ( specifically, petrified trees). Among several points that have been touched upon in this thread by Ringangleclaw, Mesi Jezi, RichP, Sculpin, Doppelganger, myself, and others is that petrified wood occurs in many places in central Washington and different sites can have more than one association relative to the trees and the basalt.

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 7:56 am 
Doppelganger wrote:
perhaps someday when the more sensitive successors to lidar come along, the Gingko forest and layers of strata may be mapped and we can understand the topography of the old flows - which forests were buried in place, which forests were torn down and swept before the flows? That will be fun for the Ape Caves/Adams lava flows as well, find the last of those hidden tubes finally.
Wonderful thought! Today's fantasy is tomorrow's commonality. Consider the desktop computer. The originators ( IBM I think?) thought there would be no market for such a device, and maybe they might sell 1000 total in America. So maybe today's ground-penetrating radar will progress to the point that your idea will be reality. ( ultimate tool for geologic fantasy-land is a time machine, but it would take away the fun of investigating the mysterious rolleyes.gif )

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 9:19 am 
For Brushbuffalo, Ringangleclaw, and Doppelganger: If you pm me I will tell you how to find the standing trunks. I am not really a sekrit-keeper but I guess I am reluctant to toss out this location since it is in a well-known hiking area (although off the beaten path) and as far as I can tell open to collecting.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 9:48 pm 
Cartman has some interesting photos of rock outcrops in the vicinity of White Pass and the Goat Rocks from his trip with Jetlag in September 2017. If you scroll down, I posted some comments in attempting to describe what they saw.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 11:29 am 
In the same dry creekbed just a couple feet apart. Lake Ingalls trail ( such contrasting colors so close together ) Green stone the same as wife attempted to take from Paddy-Go-Easy Pass https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8027536

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 11:45 am 
Sepentine and bronzite

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 12:53 pm 
quote="Bootpathguy"]
[/quote] I believe the rock at lower left is peridotite, composed of olivine ( green) and enstatite ( gray). The " orange" specimen might just be the weathered equivalent, with olivine chemically oxidized but enstatite (a pyroxene) being less weathered. Bronzite is another member of the pyroxene family, rusty in color as the name implies, and Ringangleclaw might be correct. However, I don't see any unmistakable serpentine in the larger green sample. Serpentine has a distinctive shiny luster, looking almost greasy, and is not crystalline like the green mineral olivine. A couple of the smaller pieces in top left might contain serpentine.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 1:57 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
The " orange" specimen might just be the weathered equivalent, with olivine chemically oxidized but enstatite (a pyroxene) being less weathered. Bronzite is another member of the pyroxene family, rusty in color as the name implies,
Interesting. Thank you! Question. If I were to slice the "orange" specimen in half, would it be ... ( for lack of a better term ) ... color through?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 2:52 pm 
If indeed the orange specimen is just oxidized, it might just be a "weathering rind" (diminishing with depth below its present surface, extending to perhaps 1-2 cm). I usually just whack them apart to see! ( wearing eye protection of course)

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 2:33 pm 
thanks again. youve really peaked my interest in geology. you where spot on for my last submission. just schist, but wavier then im used to, and the mechanical cleaning by the creek. pretty creek anyways. found a nice rock to carve on. this rock is one of many 'road kill' rocks i brought home from stevens pass for a pizza oven project. (wont be using this one.)very pocketed, and full of crystals in the pockets. interesting 'mouthfull' of some whitish stuff. found on road, backside of nason ridge, on the way to the snow creek trail head.
also, this was inside a slab of granite? it is the size of a babies ear. found in vent tunnel pile. one side of the 50 lbs stone is greenish, and the whole thing feels like baby powder.