Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Innernet in the Hinterlands
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 4:04 pm 
Hmmm, guess they have it worse than we do. Centurytel keeps sending out mailings to sign up for super fast internet, but what we are maxxed out as far as users. I can stream Amazon stuff most of the time on my Kindle, but some videos posted on this site just won't load. Another good thing to think of as I am packing to move to a town where I have been told they have super fast and good service. Here's the article. Poor Winlock

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 4:39 pm 
Gorge net promises 1.5 Mbit but I rarely see that rate, usually I clock in at 1.2 Mbit at best, and that's only if the clowns farther up the road aren't binge watching Netflix. The impact of the after work till 11ish internet usage patterns are real obvious here. http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ I have zero cell at home. Century Clunk's office is one floor below me at work.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Chico

Chico
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 5:48 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Here's the article. Poor Winlock
Love it. Moved from LA to slow Internet. Maybe they'll move back.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 6:10 pm 
Well, it isn't only L.A. people. Some folks from TACOMA moved out beyond the wired in part of this county and found that the satellite system was so slow they had to continue to live in Tacoma part time in order to run their business, which must've been on line.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
...as I am packing to move to a town where I have been told they have super fast and good service.
It must just be too warm there. :-) My down/up speed a couple minutes ago was: 58.1 Mbps download 7.21 Mbps upload But then it IS cold here tonight (about +10F)......

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 7:52 pm 
Just ran mine using the link I posted prior 1.27 down 0.57 up Lightnin' fast!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 pm 
Interesting, it appears Toledo house prices are substantially higher than Winlocks for comparable properties. Toledo has fiber and Gigabit speeds. Winlock residents could get somewhat better connection with Satellite-- at least if they don't need a VPN for work. (VPN over satellite is slower than dial-up IME) https://internet.hughesnet.com/residential-plans-and-pricing.html

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 pm 
1.47 and 6.something here. It varies. At least the internet seems to be holding up in the weather better than a couple years ago.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 9:16 am 
I have the cheapest plan that Rainier Connect offers in T-town ( 30+ bucks/month ). 6.53 UP / .97 DL

mike

mike
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 6:01 pm 
bad day
bad day
good day
good day

Chico

Chico
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 pm 
15.65 and 6.00 here on Comcast. Still remember my dialup days. Started with a 1200 baud modem, fastest available at the time. Soon found I could put an RF filter on the line and help the signal. Next was a 9800 baud and finally 56K before @home came along and I switched to cable.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 1:52 pm 
Chico wrote:
Still remember my dialup days. Started with a 1200 baud modem, fastest available at the time.
Yeah, that and before "internet" the dialup DOS-based BBS systems are still a fond memory. And really, the actual information that arrived on screen is just about as fast now as then. It's just that with all the high bandwidth available now, the web sites fill it with extraneous "stuff". Graphics, ads, animations, video and so on. Arround 1985-ish one of the upcoming long distance TELCOs offered me 1 month of free long distance dialing - worldwide! I was up late into the night for that entire month exploring the world for information, games, etc. on a fast dialup modem, 2400b maybe, or perhaps a 33.6k? I just recall that my favorite online game was "Legend of the Red Dragon" by Seth Able. I eventually managed to acquire a hair over 1 billion dollars, or points, or whatever before I quit.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 4:47 pm 
I guess I should quit complaining about outages for a couple of hours a week here at the end of the line. I have 105.66 download and 6.27 upload speed with Wave.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 pm 
If we ever decide to move one of the first questions I would ask about any proposed new place is what internet speed would we get. Said the guy presently enjoying 84 down and 5 up from Comcast.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 12:24 am 
moonspots wrote:
the dialup DOS-based BBS systems are still a fond memory
Mine were Apple II based systems. By the time I got a Mac I had moved to the Internet. Rough web sites, news groups and email. If I wanted DOS and eventually Windows I only had to go the my work site. Learned their inner workings as well.