Forum Index > Trail Talk > Must haves for winter backpacking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 4:12 pm 
Thanks -- one last question: Do you have any issues with the silnylon bag liner, which I assume is thin and not stretchy, getting all twisted up during the night? (I usually roll around quite a bit while in my bag).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 4:23 pm 
Re VBs, is indigenous clothing essentially of the vb model? I am asking about those who survived artic winters.

pcg

pcg
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 6:45 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Re VBs, is indigenous clothing essentially of the vb model? I am asking about those who survived artic winters.
Start at 50:00...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 7:07 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
one last question: Do you have any issues with the silnylon bag liner, which I assume is thin and not stretchy, getting all twisted up during the night?
FF bags and VB liners have snaps to hold the VB liner in place and prevent twisting. I fear my talk of VBs and semi-VBs has hijacked the thread. Getting back on track: Freedom of the Hills has some good stuff re winter camping. It was a good resource when I got into winter overnight skiing decades ago. Consider planning your first few trips close and accessible to an exit. My early winter backpacks were via skiing FS roads, which provided the opportunity of an exit via headlamp if things when bad. As BB noted, be prepared for up to 14 hours or more of darkness. Most find it unduly uncomfortable to lie in a sleeping bag for that long, so figure out a way to sit. A camp chair inside a tent works okay, although I usually prefer to dig sitting platforms (chairs and sofa). An avalanche shovel is a great piece of equipment for winter camp, e.g., digging sitting platforms. Digging a hole at tent entrance allows you to easily enter the tent without dragging in snow with you. (Some editions of FOTH have a drawing.) Some parties use a floorless tent, e.g., MegaMid or MegaLight, as a cooking tent and hangout area. You can dig sitting platforms inside. Snow caves are fun, although much work to construct and the inside walls will melt via body heat so it's best to have bivi sacks or bag with ePTFE shell. Do your research re construction and venting. See discussions on other threads re stove use in cold weather and on snow. Be thoughtful about human waste. #2 is a big deal in deep snow because it's impracticable to dig down deep enough to soil to dig a cat hole. Consider packing it out.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 7:20 pm 
They sleep naked under fur blankets and then put on thick leather and fur clothing that they took off the night before and probably didn't dry out much. Not sure if I learned anything applicable to winter camping with modern equipment, except that they were very strong. Perhaps their secret to survival is a relatively warm igloo and a lot of food? Perhaps some clothing is just awesomely warm. Wool comes to mind as an alternative available to us. Still not sure about the vapor barrier character of their clothing. If it didn't breathe, how would it ever dry out?

Chico

Chico
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 8:26 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Perhaps their secret to survival is a relatively warm igloo and a lot of food?
Fatty food!

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 8:52 am 
drink a 10,000 calorie cup of hot nutella and heavy cream before bed.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 9:37 am 
The group camping areas around Paradise are where many people first try winter/snow camping. The nice thing about this location is that it is very close to the asphalt. So you can quickly go back to the car ( or the heated restrooms ) and warm up. The close by heated restrooms also simplify dealing with #2 . The forest between the Crystal Springs Sno-Park and the Keechelus dam is pretty convenient as well. In that location you could also build a fire there -- which would help pass the time and dry out socks.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
In that location you could also build a fire
That's a good point, Randy, about having a fire. Reminds me of one of my first winter camps, which just happened to be at Paradise in the early 1960s. We had to build a fire for cooking because our scoutmasters were convinced we would spill white gas on our hands and get frostbite or something. Of course the fire, built directly on deep February snow, soon melted down into a 5-6 foot deep pit, requiring great caution to avoid falling into the flames and catching on fire, a much more realistic risk than cold injury! When I visited our campsite months later, sans snow, there was....you guessed right!....an ugly pile of charcoal and partially burned wood lying on the heather and flowers. Not cool! shakehead.gif At least we left no other signs. flush.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still