Forum Index > Trail Talk > New Logging on East Tiger Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pribbs

Pribbs
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 pm 
Today I did a hike from Preston trailhead up to East Tiger. After turning off the Bootleg Trail and onto the East Tiger Trail, I hiked about half a mile until where the trail crosses an old logging road and old logging area. Only now, there is a brand new road that goes further up the slopes of East Tiger. And all along the road are giant piles of debris that completely obliterated the trail as it approaches the road. So you have to go around debris piles and then look for the trail in the forest on the other side. I continued on, parallel to the logging road and then came to another clearcut and road across the trail and again more debris to get through. Only this time, the road had a giant dug out embankment on the other side that we had to find a way to climb up a wall of loose steep dirt. And along the trail in the forest, many trees were marked to be cut down, meaning this trail will be completely gone soon. Very disappointing to be losing the only good way to access East Tiger Mountain from the Preston/High Point side of the forest. Now the Highway 18 summit TH is the only good way to go up East Tiger, but that is all forest roads and mountain bike trails.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:12 pm 
Good heavens! Something must be done! Try not using anything made of wood and that includes toilet paper. Meanwhile, trees get cut. Eliminate the market and you'll save the woods until they burn up or are made into a subdivision for you folks who want to move to "the mountains".

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:29 pm 
You were hiking in a working forest, not a wilderness area. Here's the DNR web page for the area. DNR Tiger Mtn Those "debris piles" are the stumps that were removed for the road construction. They make good wildlife habitat for critters that like to hide under things. They also make absolutely wonderful road closures. You put them in the road and dump some dirt over them. The dirt keeps people from cutting them out of the road. The nicely piled debris is called a log deck. Those logs go to a mill or chipping facility to be made into something we probably use. The creek picture? I don't see anything bad about that. It's now considered a good thing to have woody debris in and along creeks. In fact, contracts are awarded to have trees and logs placed in creeks and rivers. We call those fish logs. The DNR is certified by the SFI. Here's what that means. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_Forestry_Initiative

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pribbs

Pribbs
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:44 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Those "debris piles" are the stumps that were removed for the road construction. They make good wildlife habitat for critters that like to hide under things.
They clearly had no regard or respect for the East Tiger Trail when they left debris blocking and burying the trail both times it crossed the new roads. We had to work our way through or around the debris, then take the time to find the trail on the other side of the road. I know this is DNR land, but at least have some respect for the hiking trails!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 pm 
Teeeswarper, please stop with the canned responses about logging. Read the post. Really read it. The complaint isn't about logging, it's loss of a good access point to a large trail network, and good information for those who hike and bike that area. We're aware that Tiger Mtn is DNR land and that it is routinely logged.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chico

Chico
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 4:17 am 
Can only speak for Capitol Forest but am thinking the logging was known to have to take a portion of the trail, which would be restored AFTER. If you have concerns please contact the DNR recreation manager for that area! THEN, if regular user meetings are held for the area, ATTEND THEM! The DNR foresters would LOVE your input! DNR Recreation managers are listed here. And all those DNR roads you love to drive to your favorite trailheads? Guess what? The logging pays for them, NOT recreation! Same could probably be said for USFS roads. And maybe it's just Capitol Forest but we users every two months get updated by the foresters so we know what trails and roads will be impacted and for approximately how long. And DNR does everything practical to reduce recreation impacts. DNR just put out another geo-referenced map of the forest showing timber sale boundaries out to 2019.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 5:24 am 
Well, excuuuuse me but the title says nothing about access. The thread is a complaint about logging messing up trails and pictures of stumps pulled and piled, log decks and a creek that doesn't look like a park. For all we know, the trail blocking is a temporary thing. In FS contracts, a trail may be crossed or have trees dropped on it, but (if the planners had their act together) the trail will be shown on the map in the contract and the purchaser of the timber sale will be required to clear and repair the trail. The FS rep has to approve any equipment crossing location, as they do for the location of all skid trails and temporary roads. I can name a few trails that were in the middle of units--South Point, The Valley Trail, Bonaparte Mtn (both sides) are a few. They were closed during the logging operations but cleaned up and the tread put in afterwards. Feel better now?

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 6:01 am 
I'm on the DNR rec mailing list and I don't recall seeing anything about logging on east Tiger and trail impacts. Would be good if someone (OP?) contacted DNR and found out the skinny on this as suggested, i.e. verify trail will be restored and when.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 9:57 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Well, excuuuuse me but the title says nothing about access.
So read more than the title.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 10:07 am 
Thanks for the useful info, Pribbs. East Tiger is a good destination on an inversion day, it is easy to hike to and it can feel like a warm spring day up there. The view of Rainier above the inversion can be sublime. "Treeswarper, please stop with the canned responses about logging." Exactly. Every mention of logging at NWHikers draws the same inappropriate and sarcastic response from Treeswarper. shakehead.gif Please review the comment policy and tell us why you are not in violation. Specifically, if you want to inform folks of why they should love logging on their favorite trails, do it in your own thread. And then let it go.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 11:48 am 
treeswarper wrote:
The thread is a complaint about logging messing up trails and pictures of stumps pulled and piled, log decks and a creek that doesn't look like a park.
Yes, because those piles have destroyed access, and that's what the post is about - to let others know that this access point is not feasible any longer. There is not one word complaining about logging in this post and most others you react inappropriately to. I see no complaints about the creek. Tiger Mtn is a very popular area for recreation, and it's multiple access points are used by thousands each weekend, so it's appropriate to know the impacts of logging on these access points.

Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 12:20 pm 
Logging messed up a trail? Bring a shovel, rake, or Pulaski along and fix parts of the trail. That's what I do when my favorite trails are messed up by something.

Have I offended you today?
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 12:22 pm 
Thanks for the heads up about this trail Pribbs

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 5:54 pm 
Some people need to reread the posting terms they agreed to: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8017231 Getting fed up with people who just exist here to antagonize.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 7:57 pm 
The access problem does not speak well of the folks working on site. I have not seen this one. But usually some flagging helps, and a temporary sign would sometimes make things better.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!