Forum Index > Trip Reports > Anderson Mountain 11-27-17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 5:03 pm 
Jake has REALLY been getting into prominence lately, so when we decided to go hiking on Monday, he proposed Anderson Mountain, on the Skagit/Whatcom County line. I argued that we should do something cooler, but Anderson has A LOT of prominence for its short stature, so I humored him. We parked down on Highway 9, although the gate was open, there was a sign warning us not to proceed in a car. It was cool, we were there for the exercise anyways. After about 30 minutes of walking, the first of several logging trucks came to pass. Naturally, I stuck my thumb up. The driver pulled over, more out of plain curiosity than anything. "What the hell are you boys doing up here?!" he asked, with a large chunk of chewing tobacco sticking out of his lower lip. "We're going for the highpoint" "huh??" "We're going to the top, can we have a ride?" "What? I didnt even know there was a top up there.. Well alright, hop on."
This kind gentleman let us ride on the back of his truck for 2 miles or so until he slowed down and stopped. His supervisor wasn't very far up the road, and he was concerned that he might get chewed out if he got caught giving us a ride. We thanked him and walked the rest of the way to the summit. GPS tracks provided by peakbagger were helpful so we never missed a turn.
gloomy morning in Skagit County
gloomy morning in Skagit County
thanks man!!
thanks man!!
Anderson Mountain 11-27-17
Above maybe 2800 ft, we had a dusting of snow, our feet got wet in trail runners.
just a tease
just a tease
bobcat?
bobcat?
At the big puddle that you'll find at the saddle near the summit, we got off route and bushwhacked through snow brush to the top. We figured out the better way on the way down, which avoids all brush.
take an immediate left here, don't go around the pond.
nice
nice
summit area
summit area
descent crux
descent crux
The hike down was pleasant and we were back to the car before noon.
51/144

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 12:09 pm 
Nice vid! Great writing. I like this snacking whilst veggie belaying too: lol.gif
Fletcher wrote:
Probably one of the best Anderson TR's

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 12:41 pm 
Looks like a fun and rewarding day for you guys. Video is great! That reminded me of a few winters ago while walking up the logging road to the top of Blue Mountain in the pouring down rain. A logger rolled down his window when he reached us and asked us what on earth we were doing. When we told him, he burst out laughing and said "why would ANYONE want to do that?" Then he drove off laughing and shaking his head while radioing his buddies to tell them about the idiots he found. clown.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 9:58 am 
Fletcher wrote:
Definitely go left just before the puddle/ pond. There is a tunnel in the brush that leads quickly and steeply to the viewpoint on top. If you want to see something interesting geologically, go past the puddle and follow the old road about 200 yards south for a sackung ( see my TR here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8022778&highlight=anderson+mt+mtn+mountain

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still