Forum Index > Trip Reports > Respite from the Rain on the Fourth of July Creek Trail 11/27/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 5:43 pm 
Monday looked like a good window of opportunity to seek a little sunshine before the next storm slams into us, so over to the Icicle we went. It indeed was partly sunny up on the Fourth of July Creek Trail, interspersed with occaissional snow flurries sprinkled like glitter from the brisk breeze. We arrived at the trailhead at the same time as a jeans-clad couple without knapsacks, and cheerfully provided some details about the trail, since they had no map or instructions. confused.gif I suggested that they just go up about a mile and a half to a good view of Mt. Cashmere, which we found out later they did, and were happy to get that far. The temperature was hovering around freezing that morning, and despite all the recent heavy rain, the trail had intermittent snowy patches until it switchbacked up the ridge. Surprisingly, much of the trail on the ridge was snow-free until about 2 1/2 miles, 4700 ft. After that, the snow coverage was less than two inches until about 5800 feet, where we turned around, after soaking up the constantly-changing views. I was delighted that my favorite east slope shrub, which I always incorrectly call "ocean spray" otherwise known as ceanothus velutinus, was still very fragrant! So heavenly! On the way down, I used Microspikes on the snowy part of the trail, as it was becoming very icy later in the day. The clouds lifted long enough to open up a nice view towards the Enchantments.
View from Fourth of July Creek Trail 11/27/17
Looking up the valley, we got peek-a-boo views in between intermittent snow squalls.
Right before the sun set at 4:15, Mt. Cashmere came in to view.
Despite the chilly wind and snow flurries, it was a great day to enjoy a little sun and get in a good workout. It was fun driving back through Las Vegas, er, I mean Leavenworth, and taking in all the amazing Christmas lights and festive displays! smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 6:58 pm 
up.gif Second report from that area in as many weeks. Nice! I gotta get over there next week before the road is completely snow covered. Thanks for sharing

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
RichP

RichP
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 7:45 pm 
Sometimes it's worth the trip over the pass for some much needed sunshine.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 9:09 pm 
A pleasant destination. Getting a bit of slushy snow today. The Icicle Road will stay plowed all winter as far as the 8-mile junction. Good trips will still be had beyond that with skis, snowshoes, and even just spikes on the packed road. smile.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 9:31 pm 
That's good to know, Get Out and Go Slow, thanks for the road information! The much needed sunshine was wonderful, Rich, especially knowing what the west side forecast was for today. frown.gif Get over there and take some nice pics for us, Bootpathguy, we didn't make it to the top, where the scenery must be really spectacular on a decent day. smile.gif