Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 11:56 am 
pcg wrote:
I've never wandered across the border, but have wondered.. Is there an established protocol for legally doing so in the backcountry?
Legally no. Practically wandering over the border between monuments 103 and 104 over to the Canuck high point is very unlikely to get you in trouble with the US CBP when you wander back into the US side. If for some reason they decided to make an example of you though the penalties would be stiff -- thousands of dollars -- assuming you didn't have any federally illegal substances in your possession == much worse if you did. When we were there in 2011 -- we observed the CBP on horseback riding the boundary trail while we were wandering in the tundra/meadows of Armstrong and Arnold peaks. They didn't bother to depart the trail and give us a closer inspection. Maybe we were lucky or just didn't match the profile of weed packers or terrorists. We didn't venture farther north than the Canuck high point which is less than 200 yards north of the border.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 11:59 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Huh? Am I misunderstanding something here? You could build a 10 foot cairn on the top of Everest and it would be 10 feet higher.
0.03 % higher. I'm sure your kitchen floor has more variation than that.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 12:46 pm 
RichP wrote:
How do PCT hikers do this legally?
https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/permits/canada-pct-entry-permit/

mike

mike
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:02 pm 
That's for going one-way north ONLY
Quote:
Can I enter the U.S. from Canada? No. There is no legal way to enter the U.S. from Canada (Manning Park) on the PCT. Don’t try it.

pcg

pcg
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 6:47 pm 
To summarize, after reading the documents linked above: You can legally hike into BC from the US, but only on the PCT and only if you obtain a Canada PCT Entry Permit prior to your trip. Once you cross the border you cannot legally return to the US except through a Port of Entry.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Dec 04, 2017 6:13 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
When we were there in 2011 -- we observed the CBP on horseback riding the boundary trail while we were wandering in the tundra/meadows of Armstrong and Arnold peaks. They didn't bother to depart the trail and give us a closer inspection. Maybe we were lucky or just didn't match the profile of weed packers or terrorists.
I didn't see any BP when I was at Horseshoe or the surroundings, but I've ran into them on the trail at Ross Lake. Real quick howdy like with any other hikers on the trail, and we went our separate ways. I imagine that's what most hiker encounters are like with them.