Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snowshoeing Ethics / Courtesy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 4:07 pm 
in highly visited snowshoeing destinations. For example... Artist Point / Huntoon Point Mt Baker Paradise Mt Rainier Hurricane Ridge ONP Artist Point was still pretty pristine, ( except for all the dog sh## ) and what I mean by pristine, alot of virgin un-tracked snowfields. Large, smooth, rolling untouched snowfields are absolutely beautiful. Especially on a sunny day. Shadow play as the sun moves across the sky. Ice crystals glistening in the sunshine. I go for the views, but I also go to see the vast untouched snowfields. My question, is it our responsibility to leave much of these areas untouched for other visitors to enjoy? Stick to the already established snowshoe and skin trac trenches? Mt Baker isn't going to see any fresh snow for awhile to erase the tracks in the snow. I had the luxury of going on a weekday. Most people don't. In my opinion, Artists Point is going to be very tracked out by the end of the weekend. I think that looks really ugly. Now, with that said, I did take off across one of these untracked open snowfields and headed up, over, and down a high point. This one. Before ( on the front side )
After ( on the back side )
Why? Well, because I'm like a child when I'm out there and wanted to trac some absolutely, smooth, virgin untouched snow. But then, I got to think'n. What I thought / think was so damn pretty, I just destroyed for anybody else. I made it look ugly I'm not talking about backcountry travel. I'm talking about these places that have a high number of visitors and if sticking to established snowshoe trenches is the polite thing to do and leave as much un-tracked snow as possible for future visitors to enjoy looking at. I'm not saying it's wrong or right. First come first serve I suppose For the rest of the day, I stuck to the already established snowshoe trenches. What say you?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 4:23 pm 
Seriously? You're obviously not a skier out to make those first tracks with each snowfall, and to stay away from the previous tracks. Huntoon Point and Table Mountain are also favorite ski destinations and that slope you were on is normally completely criss-crossed with track. Likewise above Paradise.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 pm 
Don't worry about so much. There are some cranky skiers that insist that snowshoers break their own track , but I think that a very dated idea. From back in the day when skiers would break track all day up a logging road and then ski right back down the uptrack in their 50mm wide skis and ankle high boots. Snowshoers may want to follow their own path for a variety of reasons-- typically more directly uphill than the ideal skin track which tends to make long traverses, which can be a pain on snowshoes.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 4:58 pm 
There are also skiers who suggest you spoon turns. 😂 I think it would be cool to see the whole Bagley lakes zone turn farmed. Better then the chaotic mess it can be after a dry spell. I do honestly agree that you make a point that I've thought about. Even some wilderness areas look pretty trammeled after a while. Fair to someone who wanted to take in a pristine winter view? And where is the snow angel?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 5:46 pm 
There is this to fall back on.
Me thinks you are over analyzing snowshoeing. We will get more snow which will cover all the tracks up, then the snow melts and POOF, all is gone. In the mean time, have some fun and don't worry about things. Make a snow cairn (snowman) or a fort or whatever cuz it isn't permanent and any kid can tell you that a snow fort always gets kicked down by the raiding party.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 5:54 pm 
Sheez, Randy. I've been encouraged seeing improved FS road snowshoeing/skiing lane etiquette this season, and now you're telling people not to worry about it? Simple courtesy is not a "dated idea." WTF? Big thanks to the snowshoers on Wenatchee Ridge road this season! (Ignore Randy)

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Me thinks you are over analyzing snowshoeing. We will get more snow which will cover all the tracks up, then the snow melts and POOF, all is gone. In the mean time, have some fun and don't worry about things. Make a snow cairn (snowman) or a fort or whatever cuz it isn't permanent and any kid can tell you that a snow fort always gets kicked down by the raiding party.
Where do the paw prints go? clown.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:03 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Sheez, Randy. I've been encouraged seeing improved FS road snowshoeing/skiing lane etiquette this season, and now you're telling people not to worry about it? Simple courtesy is not a "dated idea." WTF? Big thanks to the snowshoers on Wenatchee Ridge road this season! (Ignore Randy)
I like Randy and often agree with him but I'm with Steve on this one. Not that I'll pop a blood vessel over it or anything but when the tracks are separate as shown in the sign above, it's just better especially on skinny skis.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:05 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Sheez, Randy. I've been encouraged seeing improved FS road snowshoeing/skiing lane etiquette this season, and now you're telling people not to worry about it? Simple courtesy is not a "dated idea." WTF?
I didn't mean the FS Roads and track trails either. The open areas of Artist Point & Panorama Point are a different matter. First there gets first tracks.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:06 pm 
Fwiw I assume he meant the other Randy...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:10 pm 
joker wrote:
Fwiw I assume he meant the other Randy...
correct

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:40 pm 
Agree with others - track up the place as much as you'd like, your tracks will be gone soon enough or blend in with the multitude of other tracks in busy areas.
DIYSteve wrote:
I've been encouraged seeing improved FS road snowshoeing/skiing lane etiquette this season, and now you're telling people not to worry about it? Simple courtesy is not a "dated idea."
Agreed. And that goes both ways. I've had skiers give me dirty looks for snowshoeing back down my own snowshoe track (that skiers had then used). This was a wide open flat area where travel with many possible routes of equal effort - sorry, I'm not breaking trail in both directions. And I've also had skiers skin over my snowshoe tracks on a traverse (not a road) - because the mechanics of skiing are different than snowshoeing, it rendered the track unusable for snowshoeing on the return. Additionally, traversing on snowshoes is much harder than it is on skis anyway - thanks, skiers.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 7:08 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
Where do the paw prints go? clown.gif
I think at this place, the paw prints have to wait until after 3PM to appear. Then they do. Do you know that there are dog friendly trails to use all day on the South Summit Loup Loup area? In the Methow, you have to buy a pass for your dog to use some of the doggish trails there or you can buy a $50 season pass for your dog. Also, you may have to share the trail with........SNOWMOBILES eek.gif eek.gif in the South Summit area.
I have been told that folks share well in that area and are polite while sharing.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 pm 
In terms of snow conservation -- its better for there to be one up track not two. I find the level of vitriol directed at snowshoers by skiers on this issue to be counter productive. In the vein of don't worry about it too much -- that goes to all the people blowing a gasket about their "secret stash" being revealed on the interwebs or being pissed off because they encountered other people out ejoying the snow. Yes skiers should learn to ski well enough that they can spoon tracks -- that saves snow for other skiers and it looks better that the usual chaos of tracks cutting up the slopes around here. As far as snowshoers are concerned, for every snowshoers that "gets educated" by a skier about uptrack protocol, 3 more new snowshoers join the fun. It's a never ending battle and IMO pointless as a proper skin track can be skinned even after snowshoers have widened and bumped up the track. It's only when some macho skier sets a steep skin track that snowshoers following create slippage however those skin tracks also exhibit slippage after a dozen skiers have packed it out. So why waste energy grousing about?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 8:48 pm 
Tha
treeswarper wrote:
That sign is from a groomed XC ski trail. It shows the protocol for skate skiers, classic skiers and snowshoers. That's a very different circumstance than backcountry trail breaking.