Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wheels in wilderness bill gets hearing.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 9:54 am 
Token Civilian wrote:
Are you seriously trying to say the toe pivot pin of the boot that is hooked by the little clip thing on the binding of my cross country ski is a machine comparable with a wheeled vehicle like a bike or horse drawn cart?
^ no, it is not "comparable" to a wheeled vehicle, other that its being a "machine". try a dictionary. Steve, maybe you just need to go back and re-read the post. I don't have time to help you two with reading comprehension skills. Thanks. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 11:30 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
The motorized wheelchair provision seems ripe for unintended consequences-- since the current bill doesn't limit motorized use to the disabled, nor distinguish between electric and gasoline powered wheelchairs.
I'm gonna get me a handicap sticker and claim my snowmachine as a 'winter wheelchair'.. or couch.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 12:27 pm 
It's interesting to see the backlash to the systematic exclusion of users due to the over reaching use of WSA's. It's too bad there isn't a user focused form of protection which allows for biking, hiking and yes, even motorized use of existing roaded access while excluding some of the extraction that some folks hate so much. I know the study area definition nominally states 'roadless' areas, but many if not most of them actually have roads. The desire for purity in protection, instead of merely restricting some extraction, seems to be causing it's own backlash.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 12:27 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
I'm gonna get me a handicap sticker and claim my snowmachine as a 'winter wheelchair'.. or couch.
Winter Wheelchair, I love it! I'm gonna use that one.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 1:40 pm 
If I’m up front on a hike with my kids and you come flying down the trail, I’m pushing you off before you crash into my kid. Period.

RodF

RodF
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
(It is already the case that outside wilderness boundaries some trails allow mountain bike usages and some do not)
I'm glad to see this mentioned, at last. Indeed, bikes are not allowed on most non-wilderness trails in Olympic. This bill would simply allow land managers and the public to consider, in future planning processes, whether bikes are compatible with existing uses on specific wilderness trails, as well. (I can only think of one wilderness trail in Olympic - Wolf Creek Trail, the former Hurricane Hill Road - where bikes are likely to be allowed.)
RandyHiker wrote:
So I would expect there to be a long series of lawsuits about which trails in WA may have bikes and which may not
Based on... what? I'm not aware prohibiting bikes from most non-wilderness trails (nature trails, interpretive trails, etc) has a litigious history. Isn't this a straw-man argument? The advantage of this bill is that future wilderness areas could be larger and more contiguous, as they would not need to exclude mountain biking trails. The 2009 Mt. Hood Wilderness Additions, drawn to exclude a dozen existing bike trails, looks like a spider web. It would also broaden support for future wilderness bills and make them far less contentious, unlike the Boulder-White Clouds.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm 
Nonsense, the real reason for opposing wilderness is from extractive industries mostly mining, oil, gas, and timber. The rest is merely Kabuki.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm 
RodF wrote:
Based on... what? I'm not aware prohibiting bikes from most non-wilderness trails (nature trails, interpretive trails, etc) has a litigious history. Isn't this a straw-man argument?
I don't think so -- for example some MTB advocates are keen to bike the John Muir trail and other wilderness portions of the PCT. Hiker and equestrian groups would be equally opposed to opening those trails to wheeled usage. Whichever way the land agency decides on opening or not opening these trail user groups will likely sue. Seems like a lot of time and effort expended by many parties to most likely result in the status quo on these iconic trails. There might be an opportunity with a bill crafted with less broad language. E.g. stipulate that wheelchair usage was only for people classified as disabled under the ADA, set noise limits on motorized wheelchairs, disallow tracked wheelchairs and limit the opening to bicycles to wilderness areas created after 2007.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 5:25 pm 
So what happens in 10 years when exoskeleton tech becomes widespread and affordable? You'd able to hike 50 miles a day with one these. Is it mechanized transport? Does it have a real impact on wilderness? Or is the only impact the hurt feelings of other hikers because the dude with robot legs is "cheating"? What if the technology is implanted instead of external? You might laugh, but this stuff my be real in few years.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 7:37 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Is it mechanized transport?
That's up to the USFS or other land agency to determine. Just as with mountain bikes the CFRs didn't specifically address the issue until usage became common enough to be noticed. So serious thinkers will easily see that such an exoskeleton is not only mechanized transport -- but also motorized transport. BTW: A paraplegic woman claimed to have hiked both the AT and the PCT using such a device http://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-paralyzed-waist-hikes-pacific-crest-trail/story?id=49939760 However once the ABC story ran -- the PCT Through hiker community discussed whether anyone had see her on the trail -- and her story ran into difficulty. https://deadspin.com/how-did-no-one-notice-this-inspirational-hiker-on-the-p-1818647235 http://www.kgw.com/news/local/paralyzed-woman-addresses-critics-after-completing-pacific-crest-trail/477641124

graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 7:41 pm 
alpendave wrote:
If I’m up front on a hike with my kids and you come flying down the trail, I’m pushing you off before you crash into my kid. Period.
Same here, except in my case it's my wife or my adult daughters.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 pm 
Two words Oscar Pistorius

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Muir fan

Muir fan
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:52 pm 
12.12.17 mark up hearing for Wheels in Wilderness Bill It sounds too reasonable. It must be a trap!!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 am 
Muir fan wrote:
12.12.17 mark up hearing for Wheels in Wilderness Bill It sounds too reasonable. It must be a trap!!
We need to remember there are certain proper ways for recreation, and locking up millions upon millions of acres is how you preserve that one best way. (The folks who glare at me upon summiting Mt Defiance because I putted up the 4x4 route for the view, know that best way it seems.)

mb

mb
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Nonsense, the real reason for opposing wilderness is from extractive industries mostly mining, oil, gas, and timber. The rest is merely Kabuki.
This bill does not oppose wilderness; it removes an objection to wilderness. Right now bike advocates must say "please turn this proposed wilderness into a spiderweb to retain these long used bike routes" or "please do not make this a wilderness, as it will cause a loss of long used bike routes".
alpendave wrote:
Sure, but what has this to do with wilderness? The same issue applies in a crosswalk in downtown Seattle or on a trail in the middle of Idaho used by 3 people a week.