Forum Index > Trip Reports > Persis. Almost 12-8-2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 9:32 pm 
Feel'n pretty salty. I get frustrated when I don't accomplish what I set out to do. Persis has been on my list for quite some time. Not a high priority though. Today was the day to cross it off my list. Ha! I completely underestimated the snow depth and snow conditions. I had grand illusions of standing on the summit with Index seemingly feeling like you could reach out and touch it. Tracking up pristine snow and traveling over frozen tarns. I parked at Hwy 2 at the start of the logging road. Headed up around 6:30 am and walked the first mile of road in the bright moonlight. Twilight was pretty
I started early because I figured a very long day with the long road walk. Pretty boring and the clearcut landscape is ugly
I cut out the last 3 switchbacks of the logging road on my ascent by cutting up through the clearcut slash. What a pain in the ass. I traveled 1/2 mile through this sh## to avoid 1 1/2 miles of road walk. I can travel 1 1/2 mile road walk, depending on my mood and energy level, in 30 to 45 minutes. It took me 45 minutes to stumble my way through the clearcut slash. I'm not sure the leg fatigue was worth it. I traveled the road on the way out
I found the beginning of the climbers trail and headed up. Very steep but pretty straightforward. I put on the snowshoes at 4,350 elevation and was waist deep at 4,500 elevation. Floundering and frustrated, I called it. God Damn It! Right at the sweet spot where the terrain drastically mellows. Grrrr... mad.gif crybaby.gif
The snow wouldn't support my 6'4" Greek God frame. I couldn't get my whippets to bite. Often sinking up to the grips even with the snow baskets on.
When you sink up to your knees, it's referred to as "postholing". Up to your ass cheeks is referred to as "buttholing" I spent about a hour in this crappy snow traveling in large circles. "Buttholing" around to try and find some supportive snow. I became exhausted and said...
and retreated back down the mountain. It was a 12+ mile waste of time
I'll return in late spring

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 11:46 am 
My hay guy in Goldbar offered to drive us up to the bootpath and drop us off, but I think I'll put that idea on hold for a while. clown.gif

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 4:03 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
My hay guy in Goldbar offered to drive us up to the bootpath and drop us off, but I think I'll put that idea on hold for a while. clown.gif
As you probably know, the gate is open @ Hwy2. About 1 mile ( maybe a little less ) there is a closed and locked gate across the logging road prior to the climbers path.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 6:39 pm 
It wasn't a complete waste of time, you came up with a new term. up.gif Another Persis virgin here. I'll take a bike when I try this though. Hey Nancyann, if you ever take that guy up on the offer, give me a holler.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 6:48 pm 
Thanks for the information, bpg! Will do, Rich P, I've been wanting to get up there for quite some time.

nordique

nordique
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 7:31 pm 
We did Persis many decades ago when you could drive up the road as far as you dared, which was pretty far for us then. I vaguely recall burned out and wrecked vehicles off to the side of where we drove up. The 'path' was not all that easy to follow but we eventually came to a highpoint that was disappointing, after so much hassle. We never considered a return trip. I wonder where my slides from that trip are....

jdk610

jdk610
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 8:15 pm 
I did Persis a year or two before the road closed, and it was indeed beautiful up there. I did it in the summer though. Question about the road walk... Does the sign prohibit all entry, or just vehicles? (I don't particularly care if you broke the rules, I just don't want to do it myself.) Also, any reason you couldn't do the road section on an MTB? And finally, am I understanding correctly that you broke trail right to where it mellows out?

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 pm 
Oooof! Man, I've never tried to break trail in snow that deep. Sounds awful. You put in a good effort though, especially solo! I don't think I would have made it either.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 9:21 pm 
jdk610 wrote:
I did Persis a year or two before the road closed, and it was indeed beautiful up there. I did it in the summer though. Question about the road walk... Does the sign prohibit all entry, or just vehicles? (I don't particularly care if you broke the rules, I just don't want to do it myself.) Also, any reason you couldn't do the road section on an MTB? And finally, am I understanding correctly that you broke trail right to where it mellows out?
It's privately owned property. Weyerhaeuser. Prohibited if you don't have a permit. Region is ( see ) ... "Columbia /North Cascades/ Chelan" $250 motorized ( annual ) $50 non-motorized ( aka walk-in) ( annual ) and I believe it's April to April https://wyrecreation.com/permits Yes, easily mountain bikeable Yes, I broke trail to where it mellows out On my way in I talked with a hunter. We chatted briefly. He made it sound like WDFW hits that area pretty frequently. On my out I saw, and chatted with a county sheriff driving up the road. He stopped and asked if I was the F-150 parked at the highway and asked about my whereabouts ( it didn't feel like a interrogation ) he was just curious and interested in my travels. I said yes it's my truck and I attempted Persis but was turned around by sh##ty, deep snow. He said, "Wow! Good on you". I was still 4 miles from my truck. . He didn't ask for my permit. I finally asked him if all my truck windows were still intact. He said, "all good". Nice guy I was stopped by another gentleman driving through the area. He also stopped and was curious about my whereabouts. We chatted for a bit. He didn't have a permit. I asked him if he was stopped by the sheriff. He was. I asked him if the sheriff gave him any grief. He said no. Sheriff didn't seem to care. I think he's looking for target shooters as that's been the big problem in the area in the past. I told that guy that I don't know who unlocked the gate ( it was open at 6:30 that morning ) but he possibly runs the risk of being locked in. I don't know who polices that area looking for permit violaters

jdk610

jdk610
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 9:25 pm 
Thanks for the quick response!

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 9:27 pm 
jdk610 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response!
No problem and my pleasure

SKS

SKS
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 11:42 pm 
Regarding permit for walk-in: I called the Skykomish ranger station a year or two ago and asked if a permit was required for walking or biking in to the Persis trailhead. They said "No". I repeated the question to make sure because of the permits listed on the Weyerhaeuser site and the answer was the same. Also the sign at the highway gate said something like walking and bikes were permitted. I assume the permit for walk-in is for recreating on Weyerhaeuser property, but not required if staying on the road and passing through, i.e., going to Persis. I'd recommend calling the ranger station to verify and see if anything has changed since I talked to them.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 2:08 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
I think he's looking for target shooters as that's been the big problem in the area in the past.
On memorial day weekend the same year or maybe a year before they shut it down we headed up to Persia and it was mayhem. People shooting everywhere, no enforcement because of the holiday weekend. We had to ask people to stop shooting across the road just after the Persia. They didn't think anyone used the road; they were also shooting tvs. On the way down the steep part of the ridge from our overnighter we heard very close gunshots. Getting close to the trailhead we found ear plugs and shotgun shells in the trail. They were still shooting at the TH so we made noise to let them know we were coming yet we still surprised them. They were shooting down the gully at the th which has the road cross it at a lower elevation. My responsible gun owner friend told them what idiots they were and we left. They said they didnt know what trail it was and thought no one used it.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 7:13 am 
Nice. The sunrise on persis and index has been spectacular the past few mornings! I was driving back from an airport drop admiring that morning. I think I can see my house in your second photo. wink.gif There is a wta report from last winter. Tracks look like someone snowboarded off the top! I have an idea for pow whippets. A small shovel like scoop attachment that turns the pick into an over sized adze. Turn poles upside down for max surface area when post holing on flats. Use like whippets for more vertical booting... I bet them whippets come in handy on that steep trail. More for hooking on veggie belays. 😁

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 1:25 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
On my out I saw, and chatted with a county sheriff driving up the road.
Was he driving a white two door Jeep Wrangler, by chance? ETA: Nevermind, you went Friday, probably not.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!