Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hinks around carbon river entrance MRNP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:04 pm 
So, the years go by, life happens. Long story short, i just bought a house really close to the carbon river entrance. I will go other places for wilderness experiences, but MRNP just became the closest park to us too, so what's quick and fun? Carkeek used to be our neighborhood park so we are used to it being busy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:47 pm 
You might wanna edit your subject line. I assume you intended Hikes instead of Hinks. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 12:16 am 
RumiDude wrote:
You might wanna edit your subject line. I assume you intended Hikes instead of Hinks. Rumi
go the search function and enter "hinking"

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 12:19 am 
the usual stuff: trees, river, rocks, snow, mountain.... walk the road a mile or so up and walk up to Green Lake or Ranger Falls. walk up a few miles to Ipsut Creek a few miles farther up is the suspension bridge. watch the Carbon crash down underneath you just downstream from the glacier. awesome Douglas Firs right down at the bottom end of the road. the cribbing along the river banks was originally installed in the 1930s. some pieces of it still remain. almost laughable when you walk out onto the gravel bar in one of the wider spots and see how the Carbon has whipped back and forth across the flood plain over the eons.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chico

Chico
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 2:04 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
go the search function and enter "hinking"
Very Interesting!

hikermike

hikermike
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 2:41 am 
This post is a joke, right? First off, if you check the archives, " Hinking" has been a long time inside topic. Second, being at the entrance at Carbon River....there's a never ending number of hikes... i think you' re just trolling us ....or bragging and rubbing it into our faces! Let me give you a hint. I feel that if there never was a Mt Rainier...that area would still be a NP! (the mountain is a recent artifact placed on top of a pre-existing mountain range)

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 9:53 am 
I've always been a troll, just the kind under bridges! I've only heen up to this entrance one.time, I've heen up north in glacier peak/MLH land for years now. But I am teaching in Kent now and moved to the mountain. Now I have to commute 50 minutes to work (no traffic though!), but instead of leaving the mountains after recreating, I get go home to the mountains every day! However, you are probably right. I should just head up and explore. I'm not going until january when my America.the beautiful pass is valid. But I am literally a 15 minute drive from the entrance., so I am also looking for after school jaunts with the kiddos. Hinking just makes me smile, so I had to use it...

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 11:48 am 
While outside the park, you're also close to Summit Lake/Bearhead Mountain. Pretty crappy road from what I remember. That probably gets snowed in during the winter, so you could save that for next spring/summer. Also a bit more of a drive but nearby is Mowich Lake and numerous hiking destinations taking off from the lake. Another bumpy road, but not as bad as Summit Lake approach.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 11:51 am 
bonobo there's another trail system up there somewhere between MRNP and Buckley, but I cannot remember what or where. near Fairfax, maybe? huh.gif ask one of the locals, or maybe somebody here knows. ahh... Google makes it too easy: http://www.thenewstribune.com/outdoors/article95241197.html

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 12:29 pm 
That's great! I need to check out foothills. I keep forgetting about it but it's a shortish walk from my house!

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 1:00 pm 
bonobo wrote:
But I am teaching in Kent now and moved to the mountain. Now I have to commute 50 minutes to work (no traffic though!), but instead of leaving the mountains after recreating, I get go home to the mountains every day!
Lucky you.

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 1:04 pm 
Sure am! It helped my decision that it is one of the few areas I can afford. Here's how completely out of the know about rainier I am - I had no idea the road was closed, or knew a long time ago and never cared enough to remember because I rarely went to Rainier. Heh, I'm an idiot! We'll just start by walking the road!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 pm 
Get a fat tire mountain bike. You'll be able to ride up both the Carbon river and Mowich Lake roads to the end pretty much year round.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 3:22 pm 
hikermike wrote:
"Hinking" has been a long time inside topic.
Oh that explains it ... I guess. I'm not one of the cool kids. Rumi <~~~~~outside

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 3:43 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Get a fat tire mountain bike.
lol.gif Or just a "Fat Tire"....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology