Forum Index > Trip Reports > Calcite Mine & Slots & Tarantula, 11.19.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 2:59 pm 
For this day I picked a shorter, easier hike in order to make a book signing event @ the BS VC @ 3pm. Calcite Mine fit the bill & I had several takers. smile.gif up.gif We drove down from S-22 & parked in Palm Wash for the start of our hike.
@ the TH
@ the TH
The start of the hike is just walking up the continuation of the jeep rd. - not very exciting - but then we took the option of dropping into the adjacent slot canyon, which meets up with the rd. further on.
In a slot
In a slot
Once again we saw a tarantula. eek.gif paranoid.gif
Tarantula
Tarantula
Tarantula
Tarantula
Tarantula
Tarantula
We met the rd. & crossed it, & now continued up the slot on the west side, eventually reaching an impassable dry fall. We backtracked slightly & took a side fork that had 2 dry waterfalls that were a bit sketch but ultimately we prevailed & once above them, walked a short distance back to the rd. where we were not far from its end @ the Calcite Mine.
After our lunch @ the mine, people were ready to just take the rd. back. Exploring more slots would have to wait for another time.
Short hike
Short hike
Post-hike margs
Post-hike margs
BC w/Rancheti
BC w/Rancheti
Daryel w/Rancheti
Daryel w/Rancheti
Tim w/Rancheti
Tim w/Rancheti

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 3:05 pm 
ok I know they're harmless but that one pic makes my few remaining hairs stand on end

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 3:07 pm 
Yeah, I'd never want to hold one! hairy.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 6:51 pm 
That's a fun area to explore. How amazing to have a close encounter with a tarantula. I still haven't seen one. You know, above the mine site is one of my all time favorite desert peaks, Travellers Peak.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 8:03 pm 
Yeah I tried to go to Travelers Pk. once, but turned around when we got a closer view of that "dirty loose crack" near the top. hairy.gif

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 9:34 am 
Interesting. Looks like you went a different way. I stayed on the ridge most of the way above the mine and it was exposed at times, but not bad.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 am 
After seeing your TRs from that area, I'm hoping to hike in those slots some day soon. I am going to add a public service announcement (hopefully without threadjacking): Folks, don't touch spiders and don't let them crawl on you. Any spider. They all feed themselves the same way AFAIK, by injecting poison that dissolves tissue. Yes, many are not aggressive (like tarantulas), many cannot penetrate human skin, yada, yada. But there are thousands of species and I'm betting you don't know them all, and size is not a reliable indicator of danger. Everybody has heard about the brown recluse and the black widow, which make very painful bites. But the problem is that with any spider bite, the tiny puncture wounds heal over very quickly and seal the poison inside, preventing your body from pushing the infection out. Often you don't even feel it. Even the tiniest spider bite that you don't feel can turn into a very nasty - to the point of life-threatening - infection.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir