Forum Index > Trip Reports > Domelands & Slot FAIL, 11.26.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 8:56 pm 
A couple wks. back I was invited by one of my members to join her hiking group for a trip to the Domelands & the elusive slot, & after being assured it'd be a slow pace I happily took up the offer as it meant that for once I would not have to worry about having to do all the planning & navigation, etc. smile.gif up.gif I'd been to the Domelands once in 2011 & once in 2013, & then a 1/2-assed attempt last March that's barely worth mentioning. None of those times had I seen the slot, as I didn't even know to look for it. But not long ago I learned of it & wanted to check it out, & the person leading the hike today had been there before so she was going to take us there. up.gif After mtg early in the morning 1st @ a grocery store & then @ a P & R, the 6 of us split into 2 vehicles to caravan to the desert. After a piss stop in Ocotillo we got to the trailhead & started up.
Veins
Veins
Flamingo nest?
Flamingo nest?
Heading up to the domes
Heading up to the domes
Previous trips to the Domelands had been somewhat confusing w/the navigation, & today was no exception. dizzy.gif We took a slightly longer rt. in, made our way to the Domelands, were given tequila shots, then wandered around while the leader looked for the trail to the slot. We eventually dropped down into the big wash south of the domes, had lunch, found the dry waterfall I'd been to a couple times before, then turned around & headed out w/o ever seeing the slot. We got off track briefly partway back & I guided us back to the trail, then in the last 1/3 of the hike or so, 2 people were determined that the trail we lost was one way even tho my GPS showed our track the other way, & the leader had a difficult time figuring out her GPS. Anyway, after wandering around for awhile we found the trail, exactly where my GPS had showed. huh.gif
View out one of the wind caves
View out one of the wind caves
Posing
Posing
Shell
Shell
Shell
Shell
Sand dollar
Sand dollar
When all was said & done, we clocked over 10 mi. hmmm.gif
Stats
Stats
I would return a week later w/2 different people, & successfully found the slot...stay tuned... wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message