Forum Index > Trip Reports > East Bank Baker Lake and Baker River - Dec 13th, 2017
Previous :: Next Topic  
Sir-Hikes-A-Lot

Sir-Hikes-A-Lot
PostWed Dec 13, 2017 10:49 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I wanted to get in a longer forest hike with some great old-growth, so I decided to head out to Baker Lake and River.  I don't frequent this area as much as I used to due to the increasing crowds, but late and early season is a great time to be out on these trails.

I started at the southern terminus of the E B Baker Lk Trail and hiked up to the Baker River trail junction, then continued on the Baker River Trail to Sulphide Camp/Cr.  It was nice to see a few folks were backpacking.  up.gif

The E B Baker Lk Trail is snow-free and in good shape overall, with ~ 14 downed trees.  There's a spot where you'll have to climb over/through a few old-growth trees, but it's not too bad (pictured).  No creek crossing issues.

The Baker River Trail is mostly snow-free, with ~ 13 downed trees; none are an issue.  No creek crossing issues, but the large washout (a little over a mile in and pictured) seems worse every year, and may deter some families with small kiddos.  There's a newer washout (pictured), but it's easy to skirt.

If you don't like pictures of trees, then you should exit this TR immediately....

Trees
Trees
Trees
Trees
Anderson Cr and spiffy new bridge
Anderson Cr and spiffy new bridge
Trees
Trees
Trees
Trees
Trees
Trees
Baker was being difficult early on
Baker was being difficult early on
Big-ass catamount (and I apparently need some hand lotion)
Big-ass catamount (and I apparently need some hand lotion)
That's what I'm talkin' about
That's what I'm talkin' about
Baker Lake and Mtns
Baker Lake and Mtns
Noisy Cr
Noisy Cr
Mtns
Mtns
B
B
B
B
Trees
Trees
Trees
Trees
Hidden Cr
Hidden Cr
Baker River Bridge
Baker River Bridge
Fascinating
Fascinating
Baker River
Baker River
Baker River
Baker River
Baker River
Baker River
Trees
Trees
This washout has been a problem for years now
This washout has been a problem for years now
Baker River
Baker River
Washout
Washout
Hello, NCNP
Hello, NCNP
Sulphide and Shuk
Sulphide and Shuk
Bye-bye, NCNP
Bye-bye, NCNP
Big trees
Big trees
This dog really wanted to hike with me. It actually became a bit silly and I had to walk it back to it's owner, who at this point was .25 miles behind me. :/
This dog really wanted to hike with me. It actually became a bit silly and I had to walk it back to it's owner, who at this point was .25 miles behind me. :/
B
B
B
B
B
B
A lovely day comes to an end
A lovely day comes to an end

--------------
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. - Martin Luther King Jr.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 10:05 am 
lovely photos. some nostalgia for me. Thanks for sharing
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Slugman
Slower than ever

Slugman
Slower than ever
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 11:43 am 
People don't use words like "spiffy" enough. up.gif

Free loaner dogs? I'm there.....  cool.gif

--------------
Just another tequila sunrise....
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 pm 
confirmed, that the baker river trail holds snow when nowhere else in the region at that elevation does up.gif

--------------
Eric Eames
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 8:01 am 
SHA:  You must have some good dog energy!  Maybe that dog was looking for someone to do 20+ miles per day hikes/backpacking trips and his present owner didn`t fit the bill!  Anyway, while the rest of us stare at the TV, computer or do skiing laps you continue to do amazing trips.  Way to go!
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 1:21 pm 
Nice! That bridge over Anderson Creek looks much better than what used to be there. Hope it sticks around for a few years. I'd like to get out that way again.  up.gif This is the perfect time of year for it.

--------------
My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > East Bank Baker Lake and Baker River - Dec 13th, 2017
  Happy Birthday ahumblefool, Lightning_bug!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: