Forum Index > Trip Reports > North Coast Trail 8/2/2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:56 pm 
Nancyann reminded me tonight at the social that I hadn't posted my trip report from this backpacking trip this summer yet. Probably because it didn't go exactly as planned. Some of you may have seen my request for partners earlier in the year and well, it's probably a good thing no one took me up on it. Except for maybe missing out on a nighttime extraction and boat ride with the Canadian Coast Guard... http://www.musthikemusteat.com/outside-the-u-s-a/north-coast-trail-attempt/

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 11:42 am 
Oh, what an ordeal! You have a lot of inner strength, Snuffy! I've always thought that some day I would like to try that trail out, but after reading your blog, I think I will just stick to reading other people's trip reports. wink.gif

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 12:14 pm 
Nancyann, it is definitely not for everyone but the beauty made it worth it. Even if I only got one day!

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 9:05 am 
Shannon...just read your report and I'm glad you are o.k and that there were folks around to help when you needed it. I admire your spunk and adventurousness to go do these kinds of hikes. You really know how to hang it out there. I hope you'll share some more if I see you at the PCTA trail thing at the bar. I'll buy you a beer in trade for more stories! Bob up.gif up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 7:01 pm 
For those who have thought about doing this hike, there is a second trailhead that avoids the section that Shannon hiked. That section is notorious for being tough. A unique coastal bog environment. Look at Cape Scott, western section of the north coast trail. Very cool, great beaches. Still will rough you up. My wife ended up on crutches from the miles of corduroy road. Inadequate footwear was the problem. Take a tarp for when it rains. Makes a difference. You may see wolf's. Cannot wait to go back. Beats ShiShi hands down.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 8:17 pm 
Geez. Are you doing fair now? Was it harder telling yourself not to do too much too fast, or ignoring those who told you just get on it?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 8:21 pm 
@lookout bob I'll look forward to sharing more on Sunday!

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 8:26 pm 
@Pyrites I'm slowly recovering but the doc says could be at least a year. No ice axe for me this season. The worst is constantly reminding myself I have to wait and be patient. The mountains will be there. I take time to look at the MRI because it's easy to forget how bad it was. Avoiding surgery means a longer recovery time but my PT is actually impressed at how well I'm doing. I personally know at least 4 gals with the same injury as me (tripped over suitcase, tripped over dog leash, etc) who are not as far along. Counting my blessings I guess.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 8:28 pm 
@ Waterman Yes, the second TH is where I fell and was picked up by the Coast Guard: Cape Sutil. A friend who plans to go with me when I return to finish has agreed that starting there is just fine with her!

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 8:05 am 
After doing the West Coast trail (too many people for me) and the Washington Coast from Oil City to Shi Shi (consider that one if you haven`t done it) I saw some information on this hike and put it on my list. Nice Beta! As someone who periodically reduces shoulders for a living, that is impressive that you managed it so well for so long before it was reduced. Most people are a bundle of pain and do little but sit in their chair. You are tough!

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 7:05 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
is impressive that you managed it so well for so long
Thank you! Looking back, I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have "managed" so well so that the ER staff would have been a little quicker on their care. I tell folks I didn't realize how painful a dislocated shoulder could be (let alone crushing my bone) because on TV they make it look so easy just to pop that thing back in. I don't know how anyone does that without being knocked out! It gives me a greater appreciation if I ever have provide wilderness first aid for such an injury.