Forum Index > Trail Talk > Winter 2015 reprise?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 4:38 pm 
Boy, the persistence of the ridge this winter is reminiscent of the non winter of 2015. Yes we get a little new snow especially Tuesday Wednesday but after that the ridge is back again. When you think about it after the early October November snows it has only snowed about 7 or 8 days, the rest has been heavy warm rains or the repetitive persistent ridge. I've skied 3 times and it has been reasonable and I've chosen nice days, but I don't like the trend. Hoping for a longer lasting change while still in the middle of the winter snowfall season.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 4:46 pm 
Let's hope this doesn't end up being the case.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 7:34 pm 
I hope so. Just for another 6 weeks. I did not want to move in the winter, but I am.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Dec 16, 2017 7:40 am 
Winter doesn't start for a few more days. wink.gif Same. I've had a few good days. Better start then in 15. At least there has been some good alpine skiing for some. Still havent gotten a freeze, or snow at home. Rained pretty good here last night. Hope that translated into something. Thought for sure it would snow heavily this month, since I'm gimping.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Dec 16, 2017 10:26 am 
ski season here usually starts around Thanksgiving up on The Mountain. We did get a nice blast of snow for T-day weekend skiing and snow sports. Then nada. I have been up a bunch for snowshoeing, xc skiing, and booting around looking for snow, but it is finally pretty much all skied out. I was using snowshoes to get back in the woods for more snow but its getting too thin for that. Last snow outing I had to walk in .2 mile over mud and ice to find a shaded stretch of XC trail and still had to be very careful. Official ski area has been grinding up the old snow...i.e. basically snowcone ice to try to keep a few runs open. Finally last night got our first dusting since T-day of an inch or two, which of course the ski resort marketing team is talking up. Only a few dustings predicted for the next few weeks through to end of December. Looking pretty grim. Plus side, is the inversion layer might finally be lifting. It was in the 40's up in the snow, and 20's in town for high temps. If that switches it looks like I will break out the mtn bike and hiking boots again. At least there are alternatives! Right now in my area, you would think I lived in a desert or something....D'oh!

friluftsliv
christensent

christensent
PostSat Dec 16, 2017 11:40 am 
I wouldn't be too worried, although on a short term scale this last week has been looking pretty grim, the snowpack is doing just fine. Tried to post links but apparently they go bad after a few minutes. Anyways if you go to Washington snotel you can plot comparison between this year and a 30 year average. This year looks pretty typical and fine, if not above average at some sites.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Dec 16, 2017 12:29 pm 
Current forecast doesn't look to shabby!

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSat Dec 16, 2017 2:00 pm 
christensent wrote:
This year looks pretty typical and fine, if not above average at some sites.
Not really: http://data.nwac.us/CLISNO/CLISNO.TXT But it is way too early to be worried about a low snowpack.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
christensent

christensent
PostSun Dec 17, 2017 6:04 pm 
CC wrote:
Not really: http://data.nwac.us/CLISNO/CLISNO.TXT
Oh, yes you're right... the graphs I was looking at appear to actually be water precip figures which are about at normal.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
gb

gb
PostMon Dec 18, 2017 10:11 am 
The current series of systems are proving to have more punch and snow than they had earlier looked like. Besides that the building ridge Wednesday is more a North Pacific ridge and keeps us in a cool flow of air from the north to northeast for the next several days. Earlier the forecast ridge looked to be a repeat of the one we just went through. Bottomline the snow depths will be better than 2015 where we never really built base thanks (no thanks) to a repeating series of warm ridges and Pineapple expresses.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Dec 19, 2017 5:22 pm 
Mount Washington in the SE Olympics, looks like it does in the spring after it has started to melt a lot. Very strange.

n16ht5

n16ht5
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:43 pm 
I compared this year to 2011 and 2012. Both those years got off to a weird late start, but finished very strong. Keep hope alive this year is the same! 2015 had more snow this time of year. up.gif Alpine Meadows (near stevens) 2011
2017/18

Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 pm 
Not much snow in my neck of the woods. I was in the William O. today north of Rimrock lake and walked in ~3" of powder. I might take a unique route up to Burnt Mtn. and Shellrock Peak using an old non system wilderness trail next week if daylight allows.

Have I offended you today?
gb

gb
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am 
The snow climatology on the NWAC site doesn't look great. The higher sites of Baker and Rainier are slightly above normal but the other Cascade and Olympic sites are languishing especially as one works to the south. Oregon is supposed to have a rather pathetic snowpack and California's is all but invisible. This is in spite of the fact that we have been favored with a La Nina this early winter and one is forecast to continue through about April according to the CPC: CPC Enso discussion But weather patterns have not been conducive to good snowfalls by and large. Almost all of our snowpack fell in three 3-4 day events. Otherwise, the winter has been dominated by a recurring ridge of high pressure either along the coast or along the Cascade Range.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 10:45 am 
The snowpack situation is downright grim over most of the western U.S. right now. https://tinyurl.com/ybl2sulm