Forum Index > Trail Talk > Winter 2015 reprise?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
The snowpack situation is downright grim over most of the western U.S. right now. https://tinyurl.com/ybl2sulm
I can attest to that for Central Oregon! We are still waiting for the first real rain of the season in Bend, only having a couple of "damp" days so far. Mt Bachelor nordic snow reports should win an award for creativity, making every day sound like a perfect xc ski day, even though patches of dirt are showing on their strategically placed web cam. Ground up ice mixed with water is considered "Perfect and fast" conditions. It is actually entertaining to read their very well written reports. Somehow they claim a "3 foot base", which must be at the summit. Highway cams just across from the ski area show more dirt than snow. I snowshoed and skied after that initial "blast" in November, watching it get sparser and sparser. Last attempt mostly dodging rocks on a shady road route for xc, and stepping over twigs on the trail snowshoeing. I have been waiting for a decent dump of snow on the mountain since then. Rain is in the forecast for the mountain, maybe a trace of rain on our 3500 foot elevation lowlands. I think everyone in Bend is doing a snow dance in the privacy of their home, maybe a few chickens sacrificed or something.....all to no avail......

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 2:58 pm 
Could be another great year to do the JMT. Not so good if you own property in CA.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 5:44 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Not so good if you own property in CA.
dang, that would mean another wave of California Drought refugees moving north. Bummer.

friluftsliv
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 7:09 pm 
I flew from central Calif. to Seattle this last Wednesday afternoon. Flying up over the Klamath area, Crater lake and over the OR Cascades....not much snow. Only the higher peaks had more than a dusting. Bare ground visible around the north side of Crater Lake.

mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 8:23 pm 
Pretty happy the Mt. Spokane Nordic trails seem to have plenty of snow, it keeps me sane in the winter. Hoping the Cascade volcanoes get their share though, I don't like being on a glacier in mid July and and thinking that it looks more like late August.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 12:24 pm 
It's been a disappointing snow year so far. It could be much worse, though. From reports I've seen on other hiking forums, Colorado, Utah and the Sierra Nevada are almost bone dry.

gb

gb
PostSat Jan 20, 2018 8:26 am 
Finally a period of weather that looks like a real winter. For the next two weeks (and who knows beyond that) we finally get rid of the persistent ridge this winter and replace it with a dominant trough. If this works out Cascade snowpacks will grow dramatically in this period. We are (were until a day ago) about 80% of normal.