Forum Index > Trail Talk > Blanchard Mt. including Oyster Dome will not be clear cut
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 pm 
I did a hike on Blanchard Mt. last weekend thinking it might be my last. The mountain, south of Bellingham, was close to being largely clear cut. A bill passed today has a rider that will save the forest and trails on Blanchard. It passed with bi-partisan support. No need for political comments. I'm just glad one of my favorite places will remain as it is. Logging is and will continue around Blanchard. I hiked through one clear cut last Sunday. The core highlands will not be cut. Here is a link to a story about the whole bill with comments regarding Blanchard.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 10:31 pm 
This is GREAT NEWS!!! I was just up on Blanchard with my chocolate lab the day after your hike. "We're off to see the Lizard!" I like to tell her. Between Chuckanut and Blanchard we've got it made for winter hiking up here in the 'ham. Raptor Ridge, Fragrance Lake, Chuckanut Ridge, Lost Lake... Lily and Lizard, Pine and Cedar... So many options for loops and lollipops and all-day adventures. And with the exception of Oyster Dome itself, it never feels crowded. I am a big fan! I am so happy this beautiful forest will not be cut! Yeah!

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 am 
Has anyone found a map of the boundaries of the protected area?