Forum Index > Trail Talk > Favorite Wonderland Campsites?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerchickRN

HikerchickRN
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 3:44 am 
Bonus if you include pictures! Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 7:01 am 
Somehow we lucked onto getting the group camp at Indian Bar this summer. That was our best campsite on our trip around.

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 9:32 am 
Any camp that I have found going X-Country. Established camps? Now? lol.gif lol.gif Group camp? You mean the Shelter?

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 11:02 am 
Summerland. Didn’t camp there but would have been a beautiful place for sunrise/sunsets. Willswall the resident expert on the wonderland produces a lot of good videos that should give you real feeling for the trail.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 11:32 am 
I haven't been there for a while, but I have fond memories of the view from Indian Henry's.

reststep

reststep
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 12:18 pm 
Indian Bar is one of my favorites and Summerland is nice also. Klapatche Park isn't bad. Didn't care for Eagles Roost. There are lots of pictures of Indian Bar on the internet. How many days are you taking?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 12:36 pm 
Got to thinking about the shelter at Indian Bar. Used to be that you could have fires in the Fireplace in there. Was the only shelter that had one and I believe the only one to have a picnic table also. Was a great place to dry out your wet gear. People that were not staying in the Shelter would come in to warm up, dry out, have a warm meal out of the rain and relax. Met many great people. We would share chow.gif, drink.gif, Fuel, or what ever was needed by others. Then they filled up the Fireplace with river rocks. bawl.gif Many a wonderful time was spent in that shelter! lol.gif If the walls could talk! paranoid.gif

reststep

reststep
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 12:41 pm 
Did you ever hike up that valley above the shelter at Indian Bar?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 12:49 pm 
reststep wrote:
Indian Bar is one of my favorites and Summerland is nice also. Klapatche Park isn't bad. Didn't care for Eagles Roost. There are lots of pictures of Indian Bar on the internet. How many days are you taking?
Eagles’ Roost. If you confine camping to particular spots, those spots should not become large puddles during hard rain.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 2:13 pm 
Oh yes Reststep. Camped up there without a permit with the wife many years ago Camped in the grass on a flat just above the river. Was a nice waterfall up from us. That's why we didn't hear the Bear that came thru camp. Remember the last time I went there. I was solo. Got to within 1 1/2 miles of the shelter on those 3 climbs to the top of the final hill, just before the descent to the valley when a REAl bad rain storm was about to hit. Noticed behind me 2 people really hard at covering ground. I made it to the shelter just as the storm hit, and it started raining real hard. I took my pack off, got out my stove, fuel, water, coffee and tea and put it on to boil 4 cups. About 45 min later I heard, Anyone in the shelter? I waved them in and told them I had a hot drink for them. They changed out of their wet clothes ( with my back turned) and when they got dry, I handed them hot Coffee and tea. We had a great time and exchanged phone #'s They stayed with me for 2 days and then headed back up the trail as I went back to my truck. Trail magic!!!! So I guess. Indian Bar Shelter is my favorite campsite too! lol.gif

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 2:38 pm 
In 2012 I filmed all the backcountry camps with 3 cameras giving about a 300 degree view. You can download and/or view all of them for a nominal fee here: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/8001

I desire medium danger williswall.com
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 7:08 pm 
Note if you officially do the WT, you must camp at the established sites on your permit, not off trail. So yes, two of the three best - and the two hardest to get permits for - are Summerland and Indian Bar. Klapatche Park is the third one - also hard to get a permit for. Longmire Inn makes a wonderful a night on the WT, if your trip doesn't start there.

HikerchickRN

HikerchickRN
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 10:09 pm 
Thanks for the input! Thinking 9-11 days. I want to take my time

HikerchickRN

HikerchickRN
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 10:39 pm 
Williswall that's awesome! thanks for the info

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 am 
Campsite #2 in Summerland it really nice. It's above a large creek, and the sound is very pleasant. Funny about Indian Bar campsites being so popular? They are not very good. Dusty in the dry. No "duff" just bare dirt and in the rain, a muddy, water pooling mess. I remember back before MRNP got sooooo crowded when you could do the WT and then haul off a mile or so to camp. Then come back to the trail the next day, hike as far as you wanted and haul off again. O for the good ole days. Sooo regimented now! Has to be I guess. Kinda like having to be at work on a week day. Having to be at a certain camp every night for 10+ days. Not my idea of Backpacking. Also, are you doing the trail Clockwise or Counter clockwise? If the latter, get an Early start out of Indian Bar. That climb up to Panhandle Gap is a nasty one. After you leave the valley there isn't any shade to speak of and if it a sunny day, you will cook if there isn't a breeze or snow to cool you off. Went that way only 1 time! lol.gif