Forum Index > Trail Talk > Utah winter canyoneering - recommendations
Previous :: Next Topic  
radka

radka
PostSun Dec 17, 2017 3:11 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Well, well, it doesn't look too fabulous for skiing this Christmas break and Nelson, BC, where we skied last Christmas, is currently sporting a widespread 8-cm surface hoar which will make for wild avalanche conditions - so we're thinking of heading south. We will likely climb in Red Rocks for  few days.

We would love to try some technical canyoneering, perhaps in Zion. Is there anything you could recommend for this time of year? Something that doesn't have standing water  biggrin.gif . We have never done canyoneering, but have rappelled a bazillion times.

Last time we went to Utah 6 years ago, we hiked near Moab, did a few nontechnical canyons at San Rafael Swell, went to Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Chesler Park...it was all outstanding. This time we would like to try the SW corner (Bryce, Zion), though it will be cold. Thanks!

--------------
The future is yard birds
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Dec 17, 2017 7:43 pm 
I'd also consider Death Valley this time of year. Not that far from Vegas. Drier canyons.

Michel Digonnet's guidebook is 2 thumbs up. A climber, he details and calibrates the dryfall moves in the canyons.

https://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Death-Valley-Natural-Wonders/dp/0965917835

Flying into Vegas puts a ton of good choices within reach.

And, thanks in advance for one of your most excellent trip reports!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
radka

radka
PostSun Dec 17, 2017 8:10 pm 
Eric, thank you for your vote of confidence  smile.gif
Your recommendation for Owyhee from last year is still (high) on our list. We will actually be driving down to NV and UT and just sleep (freeze) in our car. I wish we had two months!

I did not know there was canyoneering in Death Valley! I went there solo 4 years ago and that place is insanely beautiful. I took a very excessive and completely unreasonable amount of photos (you can find them here ) I could've spend several weeks in Death Valley. I never expected it to be so beautiful. But I didn't do any canyoneering on that trip, though I hiked in a canyon.

Well, well, now you're creating a dilemma for me...

--------------
The future is yard birds
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Dec 17, 2017 9:41 pm 
Not sure DV canyons, canyoneering are the kind you are picturing for Zion, etc. Perhaps google for pics?

Part of my reply was thinking that this time of year Zion slots are cold, deep shade, icey pools of water. Not for me but I don't want to prejudge your choices
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Dec 17, 2017 10:09 pm 
Most technical canyons in Utah that have potholes will be wet in winter (like all other months), and I'd venture to guess from my (admittedly limited) experience that most technical canyons of have potholes. I'm certainly not an expert, though. Local knowledge would reveal the exceptions. There's some pretty thorough canyoning guidebooks as well.

Also, canyoning can be very different from rappelling on climbing descents. Why not kill two birds with one stone and do some guided canyoning trips?

--------------
PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Utah winter canyoneering - recommendations
Jump to:   
Search this topic: