Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Sweet, Another Dropped Call.......
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 6:23 am 
My dream is to have a clear phone conversation downtown Seattle..... Is this possible without having a landline? Without a phone booster like on a different post? I have an Android..... T-Mobile. My girlfriend has an Apple and patience..... All the "can you hear me's", being disconnected for no reason and me outside pacing around like a mad man in the freezing cold for the best signal. Inside or outside doesn't seem to make a difference. I have noticed the 4th floor inside our 1907 brick building the reception is ok, not great. In the hallway..... I thought calling from the school across the street would work since she's a teacher, I'm trying!!! But no it drops calls from there too. She's called me from Ballard and California.... All this on First Hill, downtown Seattle. You'd think..... Too much to ask? Am I just a dreamer? Is it too late to ask Santa for an iPhone? I'm really digging this girl, communication is key to our relationship, help please!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 7:00 am 
First off get rid of T-mobile....

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 7:55 am 
Then get an iPhone so you can call your girlfriend with a "FaceTime Audio" call. Best call quality I've ever experienced.

neek

neek
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 7:56 am 
I just switched from AT&T to Verizon in part for this reason and even got a new phone in the process but still get dropped calls and frequent "what? You're all garbled" complaints. Not to mention the inevitable lag you get with packetized communication that makes chatting feel unnatural. It's hopeless.

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 10:59 am 
My friend...about your mobile device...you have first world problems!

Art is an adventure.
mike

mike
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 11:45 am 
You get bars ...??? I've heard about that.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 1:51 pm 
Got cut loose early from work today so I stopped by Tmob. New systems, phones don't matter- even iPhones, maybe get a signal booster is what I gathered. More of the same nothing basically. But maybe I'll try the booster....supposedly it's free. I hear the same issues with every carrier, so I'm skeptical about who's who. I just opened a beer, maybe that'll help?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 2:15 pm 
Can you still text without problems? I have come to prefer text over talk anyway, never been much for chatting on the phone. A lady friend got me started on texting a few years ago, now I rarely speak on the phone, yet text over 1k times per month..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 2:16 pm 
the beer will help some... I miss the old days of landline-to-landline. Another trade off: quality for quantity. I prefer the former.

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 2:20 pm 
Does your phone have the ability/setting to use Wi-Fi as your calling option rather than using Cellular/LTE? (Assuming you have a Wi-Fi set up at your residence, but perhaps you only have Ethernet?) At my house, I don't have the greatest cell service so I have my phone set to use my home Wi-Fi rather than dialing out on the actual LTE network. Works great.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 3:12 pm 
I had T-mobile for a bunch of years. It was always embarrassing being the only one in the group that couldn't make a connection with home while everyone else was giving safety status to the spouses at home. Driving to Bend Oregon, we maybe got 10% coverage on the trip. In Bend, I could only get reception in town. In Kirkland, we lived in a weird blind spot, even though we were just a couple blocks from a major cellular hub. T-mobile suggestion was for the booster. Yes it was free and it helped only a tiny bit at our house. We switched to Verizon. Driving to Bend we get about 10% of the drive NOT in coverage. I can call from about 90% of the trails and trailheads around Bend....In fact my Inreach is not getting much use anymore. Travelling is much easier. I was just reading about a hack on T-mobile where the perp transfers your number to another carrier then eliminates YOUR access, they then use your number to get access to you bank account and clean it out. Meanwhile all the warnings are not getting to your phone. The process takes just minutes to clean out your bank account. T-mobile is aware of the problem but doing nothing, of course. Only T-mobile is having this problem. How much is that "cheapest rate" really worth?

friluftsliv
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 4:40 pm 
Funny T-mobile has increased their network a lot and I get a good signal most everywhere. The places that do not work well mostly require an InReach.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mike

mike
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 7:31 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
Does your phone have the ability/setting to use Wi-Fi as your calling option rather than using Cellular/LTE? (Assuming you have a Wi-Fi set up at your residence, but perhaps you only have Ethernet?) At my house, I don't have the greatest cell service so I have my phone set to use my home Wi-Fi rather than dialing out on the actual LTE network. Works great.
So the wifi requires copper, at least around here which includes voice for the same price. So what's the point of using the wifi for voice?

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 8:21 pm 
I have Comcast cable tv and Internet. With wireless router WiFi network for other non-hardwired devices like having my cell phone automatically switch to WiFi when home. That way, I don’t use up data on my cellular and also gain the benefit of clear call quality. If the OP has no home Internet service other than using his cell phone, then my possible solution wouldn’t be doable.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSat Dec 23, 2017 8:04 am 
Recent news reports of hackers draining bank accounts of T mobile customers.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost