Forum Index > Trail Talk > New to Spokane
Previous :: Next Topic  
Legs4days

Legs4days
PostSat Dec 23, 2017 8:20 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hello I am new to Spokane and the outdoor backpacking. I am looking to find some awesome places to hike and be able to view the wildlife with the fam bam. Id like to start in the Colville National Forest. What are some of the experiences you have had? What animals? What trails? What other spots are awesome to see wildlife and have a great hike??? Let me know. Thank you in advance!!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Dec 24, 2017 6:12 am 
All Weather(just about) in Spoke Valley Iller Creek/Dishman Hills

On the other side off Palouse Hiway, Stevens Creek, Rocks of Sharon/Dishman Hills.

The two trails meet at the top with great views of your new home.  A shuttle car would a allow a hiker to go up one and down the other.

There is at least one moose on the Iller Crk. side.

tom
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
drilldaddyo

drilldaddyo
PostSun Dec 24, 2017 11:49 am 
Rich Landers book "100 hikes in the Inland NW" is a good guide to the area.

I've heard that the Little Spokane River trail is good for wildlife sighting though I have no personal experience with that trail.

Iller creek is a weekly hike for me and sometimes I see the resident moose.  Once a year if I'm lucky.

Welcome to the area,

Randy
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Straight Arrow
Outdoor Enthusiast

Straight Arrow
Outdoor Enthusiast
PostTue Dec 26, 2017 10:21 pm 
I second the suggestion about the "100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest" book. Many great trails are close to Spokane or within an hour or so away. For slightly further destinations, Priest Lake in north Idaho offers many good hikes, as does the area around Sullivan Lake about 1 1/2 hours north of Spokane. Be sure to check out the Kettle Crest trails just past Colville and Kettle Falls. The Selkirk Crest in north Idaho is awesome too. Lots of wonderful lakes in the Selkirks.

For early season hikes (Mar-June) I recommend the eastern Washington "Desert Hikes" book. Lots of worthy hikes in the desert environs of Washington that book too. I am sure you can find both books at REI on Monroe Street. Hike on hiker!

--------------
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
.-.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > New to Spokane
  Happy Birthday Lead Dog, dzane, The Lead Dog!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: