Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Moving The White Death
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 8:56 am 
Grain scoops are good for digging out avalanche victims many rescue organizations use them for that purpose. They are heavy and bulky for touring though.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 12:58 pm 
Second the grain scoops. Much tougher than the cheapie snow shovels. Not a touring tool but if you have room in the car or at home, very good snow tools. Like any shovel, limited to a range of snow conditions which don't include a lot of ice.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
trestle

trestle
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 2:37 pm 
Never said a grain-scoop was the same as a snow-scoop but they work great and yes, they work well at removing snow. Thanks for denying me my personal experience @treeswarper, you're a real peach this week. I have used them for moving snow on a daily basis for many, many years. Your determination for alienation is impressive. Clearly this thread is not about touring shovels so the grain-scoop recommendation makes sense.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 29, 2017 7:49 am 
Guess I cannot state an opinion? Each to their own. A grain shovel IN MY OPINION is heavy and beastly. With my Yooper Scooper I managed to clear my turn around area --about 50x50 and my 100 yard road. My back was not sore. The Yooper Scooper is made to PUSH snow, a lot of snow, and is not for shoveling grain. Big difference. I finally used the regular snow shovel bought last year to replace the cracked plastic one and it worked--like a snow shovel to push snow off the deck. This thread was not meant to hurt any tender feelings. Mine were not hurt by people preferring the grain scoop. I simply stated that they are horrible to use. Perhaps I should have added to use for a LOT of snow moving. A non-threatening thread has now gone sour. If I could, I'd delete the whole thing. Getting all offended over snow shovel opinions is pitiful.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Dec 29, 2017 10:27 am 
yeah the grain scoop is heavy but it rewards that with strength for sloppy heavy snow. I got tired of the weakness of most snow shovels. The scooper looks interesting but I don't think it would work for me, looks like a pavement scooper and I think it would just continuously hang up on my gravel

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
trestle

trestle
PostSun Dec 31, 2017 3:11 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Guess I cannot state an opinion? Each to their own. A grain shovel IN MY OPINION is heavy and beastly. With my Yooper Scooper I managed to clear my turn around area --about 50x50 and my 100 yard road. My back was not sore. The Yooper Scooper is made to PUSH snow, a lot of snow, and is not for shoveling grain. Big difference. I finally used the regular snow shovel bought last year to replace the cracked plastic one and it worked--like a snow shovel to push snow off the deck. This thread was not meant to hurt any tender feelings. Mine were not hurt by people preferring the grain scoop. I simply stated that they are horrible to use. Perhaps I should have added to use for a LOT of snow moving. A non-threatening thread has now gone sour. If I could, I'd delete the whole thing. Getting all offended over snow shovel opinions is pitiful.
Beautiful. Happy New Year!

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Dec 31, 2017 4:29 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
A non-threatening thread has now gone sour. If I could, I'd delete the whole thing. Getting all offended over snow shovel opinions is pitiful.
I understand how you feel. Yeah, it's pitiful, don't take it personally. It's just how the internet is. Without body language or tone of voice, sometimes words can come out wrong. This forum is one of the better ones in terms of civility. Perhaps it would help to think of the overall good provided by this topic. When I read the info posted, I thought "well, that's the new thing I learned today" (as in you learn something new every day). There was some thread (don't remember the original topic) where I posted that if we didn't like what was happening in this country, that we should get out and vote for those who support what we do want, and you kinda chewed me up over that. I just shook my head and laughed. So this works both ways, yes?

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 4:26 pm 
I kinda miss shoveling snow...I prefer push type shovels, made of plastic, not metal. Iron Is a metal. Ironwood is not a metal. Its a city in Michigan. It snows a lot there. They also have a high iron content in there well water. Water also is used to make man made snow.. the manmade snow in ironwood oxidizes, creating rusty man snow. Natural snow falls on that, so THAT is how you end up with different colored snow.in da u.p., eh?!? *stolen shtick

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 5:49 pm 
I was seen a lot of broken snow shovels (have 2 here) because of wet-hard snow so yes, a grain scoop is superior in certain conditions.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.