Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 4:48 am 
Jordan wrote:
Yes. We dont want people working hard to support themselves.
It's not that simple https://soapboxie.com/social-issues/why-homeless-people-dont-just-get-a-job

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 5:25 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Jordan wrote:
Yes. We dont want people working hard to support themselves.
It's not that simple https://soapboxie.com/social-issues/why-homeless-people-dont-just-get-a-job
Well of course, nothing is just as simple as one answer. But you have to admit, what is happening now in our city is not help. And there is a difference between reading an article or two and experiencing the people and the environment every week. What is your experience with the homeless of Seattle? How many homeless people have you talked to? How often do you visit downtown?

none
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 7:53 am 
Jordan wrote:
What is your experience with the homeless of Seattle? How many homeless people have you talked to? How often do you visit downtown?
I live in Greenlake, there are quite a number of homeless people living in the park and various places in the area. One of the is 'Nam vet that pushes a shopping cart filled with Target bags around the path and along Stone way. Another is a woman in her '70s that eats breakfast every day in the Greenlake PCC. Then there is the man in his 20s who wanders around the Evan's pool with his red sleeping bag draped over his shoulder, constantly engaged is conspiracy theory debates with himself or anyone that will listen. At least Greenlake park has public restrooms open 24/7 so the homeless don't have relieve themselves on the street. I worked in Pioneer square for a while, in an older building -- the building added additional security measures after a homeless man was found unconscious in the restroom after overdosing. Heroin addicts need more that a dope slap before they are employable. I think we owe veterans with PTSD more than scorn. The mentality ill need more that someone shouting "get a job".

Damian

Damian
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 12:03 pm 
Jordan wrote:
Yes please do this people. Talk to the homeless. You will learn that there are some homeless that want to get off the streets but the vast majority, here in Seattle, are here for the free ride with no intentions of getting clean or a job.
Jordan that may be your perspective based on your job. But with your experiences I would think you would agree that stating that the vast majority are here for the ride is a bit oversimplified. Perhaps many are not seeking employment for various reasons that have been mentioned. Have you visited the Jungle? How are you getting involved? We need people with educated opinions involved regardless of their stand.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 10:36 am 
Whatever your opinion on the homeless, (and that encompasses a very wide range of conditions) I cant imagine that anyone in their right mind would agree that what passes for leadership in Western Washington has even a smite of a clue as to what they are doing! What is happening now is nothing short of disastrous! A once great city is no more! down.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 10:58 am 
Let us know when you've completed your manifesto but we'll pass on publishing rights and kindly refrain from the ongoing previews.

huron

huron
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 8:52 pm 
This camp is on my regular running route, so I pay attention to its evolution. Today I saw something that bothered me. There are always an array of dilapidated vans and campers parked along the service road just off High Point exit. Some have been there daily for years on end. Many leave piles of trash, burn trash, change & dump automotive oil, food and literal crap piles right on the side of the road. The new thing today is they all have signs in the vehicle window saying that they are residents of Tent City 4. If this mess is truly from Share/Wheel, they should be responsible for removing it. I'm empathetic to the homeless situation but see no reason why they can't focus on keeping the host area safe and clean. If a church group comes in with a bag of food, it should leave with a bag of trash. Under other circumstances I would be happy to volunteer to help remove normal type trash, but this stuff is just dangerous and it's a main gateway to Tiger trails. Have to short leash the dog and run well into the road to keep him from nosing into it. Going to make a complaint in person next time I run by.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 9:02 pm 
Agreed, it is a mess that will only get worse. Sad that DNR spent big bucks for the new Marat bridge over Highpoint Creek which can only be accessed by running the gauntlet of a hobo camp. When this was first started it was supposed to be a temporary camp between different church venues. It has been there for most of three years now. Just a matter of time until Cableline and WT3 become dangerous.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 9:34 pm 
Be patient. #TrickleDownMagic

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 10:20 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Just a matter of time until Cableline and WT3 become dangerous.
What sort of dangers are you concerned about? Is this general fear of "other" or something based on facts? There are substantially more homeless people living in my current locale (Greenlake) than Tiger , but Greenlake sees far far more joggers and runners than Tiger.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 10:43 pm 
See Hurons comment above. There are a bunch of vehicles on the road now with the accompanying piles of trash. The Whalter White vehicles well after the tent city moves on and nobody cleans up the trash.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
huron

huron
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 10:56 pm 
The issue is that the vans and campers, with people sleeping in them, are claiming to be part of Tent City 4. This means Tent City has now expanded outside it's boundary well down the service road. The technique of choice seems to be to chuck garbage out of the vehicle, then move 100 feet down the road for a change of pavement every so-often. MC is right. Won't be long till TC4 extends all the way up to the gate.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Jun 28, 2018 6:42 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Just a matter of time until Cableline and WT3 become dangerous.
What sort of dangers are you concerned about? Is this general fear of "other" or something based on facts? There are substantially more homeless people living in my current locale (Greenlake) than Tiger , but Greenlake sees far far more joggers and runners than Tiger.
Based on facts Randy. Tiger is a little more secluded than Green Lake. Its pretty obvious. You would send your wife or daughter alone to jog through and around these camps? I doubt many lone females would feel safe. And for good reason.

none
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 28, 2018 6:57 am 
Jordan wrote:
Its pretty obvious
The stereotypes are obvious. The reality is different. When my congregation hosted Tent City 4 in Bellevue a decade ago, the neighbors and parents at the adjacent private school were hysterical and imagined a violent crime wave. The reality was far different , no crimes were committed.

huron

huron
PostThu Jun 28, 2018 8:02 am 
There's no physical safety issue from the people themselves. Most can't muster the initiative to get out of bed, let alone lift a finger against anyone. It's the trash and debris that's the problem.