Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Yes. I had to. There was no other way for me to pay for school.
Yup, same here. And it was good for me, despite the fact that I didn't really like doing so. And so can "they". If they want the benefit of some of my tax $ for free, they can do something to earn it.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 9:56 pm 
moonspots wrote:
And so can "they". If they want the benefit of some of my tax $ for free, they can do something to earn it.
A substantial number of homeless people are veterans-- often with untreated PTSD which is part of the reason they have ended up in their unfortunate circumstances. https://endhomelessness.org/resource/veteran-homelessness/

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 5:37 am 
There is no easy solution. I'll bet that just a few could work if they had to. I realize there are homeless who do have a job but can somebody please explain why one would choose to be in such a state instead of living elsewhere where they could work and afford housing? I guess they need a strict mother to drive in the fact that "sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to do."

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 7:37 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I'll bet that just a few could work if they had to.
I believe the vast majority of homeless people are homeless for only a relatively short periods of time. The chronically homeless however are what all the stereotypes are based on.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:31 am 
treeswarper wrote:
please explain why one would choose to be in such a state instead of living elsewhere where they could work and afford housing?
For the same reasons, I suppose, that some people stayed in high latitudes of Siberia and North America rather than move south into areas with better weather, more game, and edible plants.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:54 am 
Seventy2002 wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
please explain why one would choose to be in such a state instead of living elsewhere where they could work and afford housing?
For the same reasons, I suppose, that some people stayed in high latitudes of Siberia and North America rather than move south into areas with better weather, more game, and edible plants.
I didn't realize drugs and mental health issues were such a problem way back then!

friluftsliv
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 3:19 pm 
boot up wrote:
I didn't realize drugs and mental health issues were such a problem way back then
Really you think drug abuse is a recent phenomenon? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 4:35 pm 
wow... I wasn't aware there was so much misinformation being spread about this one. SAD. BIGLY SAD.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Stella

Stella
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:15 pm 
The new book "Nomadland: Surviving American in the Twenty-First" opened my eyes to why and how many people become homeless. The author, Jessica Bruder, is successful in showing, not telling the story of many nomadic or homeless people.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 10:56 am 
Seattle has actually made good progress towards cleaning up encampments recently. More to be done, of course. There are initiatives led by the mayor's office as well as volunteers. If you are interested in learning more about volunteering on one of these, PM me. It is a great way to learn first hand about homelessness issues and causes, as well as to interact directly with people living unsheltered, including opportunities to ask them for yourself some of the questions raised in this thread. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/homeless/42000-pounds-of-garbage-seattle-quietly-cleaning-up-clearing-out-hot-spots-for-people-living-in-vehicles/

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 1:57 am 
Ski wrote:
wow... I wasn't aware there was so much misinformation being spread about this one. SAD. BIGLY SAD.
Ya, misinformation. I guess its just not a problem, its all a big myth. The city council is doing a great job right? Maybe more money should be sunk into this to help these people that have just fallen on hard times for a little while and are being made homeless due to housing prices. Sarcasm. Or maybe Seattle just gives them everything they want without them having to lift a finger or stop using drugs. And the word is out. NOT A MYTH. People come here from all over because of this. Seattle feeds and houses the homeless without barriers. No restrictions, how is that helping? Dont have to stop using, dont have to work, dont have to follow any rules, drugs are practically legal to use on the streets without fear of the police. I work in a downtown Seattle ER, in psych. It is "bigly sad" that people still believe the homeless that are here are just on hard times for now. The Jungle encampment was full of people that were looking for work and to get off the streets, right? SO tell me the misinfo that is being spread, please enlighten me with your knowledge on the subject.

none
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 1:59 am 
Damian wrote:
Seattle has actually made good progress towards cleaning up encampments recently. More to be done, of course. There are initiatives led by the mayor's office as well as volunteers. If you are interested in learning more about volunteering on one of these, PM me. It is a great way to learn first hand about homelessness issues and causes, as well as to interact directly with people living unsheltered, including opportunities to ask them for yourself some of the questions raised in this thread. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/homeless/42000-pounds-of-garbage-seattle-quietly-cleaning-up-clearing-out-hot-spots-for-people-living-in-vehicles/
Yes please do this people. Talk to the homeless. You will learn that there are some homeless that want to get off the streets but the vast majority, here in Seattle, are here for the free ride with no intentions of getting clean or a job.

none
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 2:06 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
I believe the vast majority of homeless people are homeless for only a relatively short periods of time. The chronically homeless however are what all the stereotypes are based on.
The chronically homeless are the vast majority. The minority, the ones you dont see, are the ones that use the tools available and get back to living a productive life.

none
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 2:09 am 
Yes. We dont want people working hard to support themselves.

none
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 am 
Jordan wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
The chronically homeless are the vast majority. The minority, the ones you dont see, are the ones that use the tools available and get back to living a productive life.
Depends how you do the counting. When you do a one night count, you get one ratio. But when you include all the people that experienced homelessness for some period over the course of a year you get a different ratio. So when evaluating whether various housing support programs are effective, simply measuring the number of chronic homeless people gives a distorted picture. Many of the chronic homeless have a complex set of problems -- prior to the Reagan administration many people in this category were instutionalized. But people that didn't pose an immediate threat to the community were released from institutions and became homeless. This saved the federal government a bunch of money and gave people with few life skills the freedom live on the street.