Forum Index > Trip Reports > Talapus Lake on New Years Eve.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:52 am 
Once in a while I just need to get out and listen to nothing. The feeling often overtakes me on a Friday afternoon about 3:30. My pack is always packed and I gas my car every Thursday so it is an easy decision so make on the fly. If I get off later, I often go up to Talapus lake. It is a 45 drive from home and about 45 minutes of hiking to get to the lake. When I get behind the ridge, the highway noise is replaced by the sound of the water pattering on the rocks up valley. New years eve was such a time. I was on call at work and got off at 4PM Sunday. I had a few errands to run and then headed up to my "Man Cave". A new +20 synthetic bag for Christmas was begging to be tested and it was almost a full moon on a clear night. The road was open all the way to the TH. It was about 25 degrees and windy. When the moon came out it was almost like daylight. I got up and wandered aimlessly for a while and then went back to bed. At this point it was 15 degrees so I pulled my Thermarest Argo Blanket and a space blanket over my bag. I love that feeling of being warm and toasty while laying out under the stars. In the morning I was invaded by camp robbers. They were dive bombing my space blanket. It is one of those flimsy light ones and they seemed to delight in rustling it. I got up and had my requisite two cups of coffee and headed home. I need to play with the photo option here. There really wasn't much to see except for the dive bombing Jays. January 31 is the next Full, Super, Blue moon. I hope to be on a ridge or summit somewhere. Happy New Year!

"May you live in interesting times"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NorDub

NorDub
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 1:38 pm 
Sounds like a fun trip! Awesome that we live so close to the mountains that you can be in the greater Seattle area one minute, and 1.5-2 hours later, you're standing by the edge of a frozen lake in the mountains with some peace and quiet. Speaking of, did you see anyone else up there that night?

DadFly

DadFly
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 1:43 pm 
No one else around that night. About a dozen were on their way up in the morning for a day hike. I go up there about 10 times a year to watch the owls. Most Friday nights (3 season, not winter) there are one two other parties at the lake. There have been a few times when there was no one and the wind was still. Every sound is heard around the lake and the critters know to be silent. Otherwise the owls will eat them. But that silence is very nice.

"May you live in interesting times"
Mikey

Mikey
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 7:07 pm 
Thanks for your report. Ordinarily I have not been able to drive to the trailhead at this time of year. I have seen fresh cougar tracks across the trail not far from the trailhead parking lot after a fresh snow.