PostSun Sep 22, 2013 12:38 am 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Sep 22, 2013 6:25 am 
Whoa! Nice work! up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Sep 22, 2013 8:30 am 
thanks for posting this Eric. I wish people could visit those lookouts....the military is really good at keeping folks out. Alas....

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Chico

Chico
PostSun Sep 22, 2013 12:43 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
I wish people could visit those lookouts....the military is really good at keeping folks out. Alas....
You too can visit. First, you need to know what area you wish to visit. This map should help. http://capitolriders.org/Maps/Ft_Lewis_Training_Areas.jpg Then you need to know if the area is currently open. http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/dptms/training/range/docs/allocations.pdf Then you need an access permit. You must drive to the main gate (I-5 exit # 120) and go to the visitor center and obtain a day pass. That allows you onto the fort so you can get to the area access office, building T-4074, Area Access Office (Range Control). Their phone number is 253-967-6371. Permits recorded message number is 253-967-6277. One additional note - when you do go, be sure you have the vehicle's registration and proof of insurance with you. You will also need your drivers license.

Paul M

Paul M
PostSun Sep 22, 2013 12:47 pm 
Eric, Very nice...and great job on the individual pages and information you were able to uncover. So it looks like only the Goodman Hill Tower still exists? Did you have to stop in at Range Control each time you drove back there?

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Sep 22, 2013 12:53 pm 
Super cool. Thanks for digging these up, Eric. up.gif

mepokeu

mepokeu
PostMon Sep 23, 2013 8:25 pm 
There is also some prime fishing on fort lewis.. only place ive ever seen a wild river otter in washington

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 7:12 am 
Eric- Are you certain the "Flander Lake" lookout tower was not a range tower rather than a fire lookout tower? The reason I ask is because, as a similar example, when I look on maps at the vicinity of the former "Nisqually Lookout" location (Ninety-First Division Prairie), there are numerous locations marked as "Lookout Tower(s)" surrounding the area. Perhaps Rex Kamstra chose the centerpoint not knowing the exact location, or his coordinates were taken from a fire lookout resource (probably). -> Is it possible that only one of the "Lookout Towers" shown in that vicinity was an actual fire lookout and the rest were/are range lookout towers? -> Here is another interesting thing I noticed. Go to [url=http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=47.04977, -122.64690]this location[/url] and then zoom-out. You will soon see "TOWER" on the screen for that location.

Paul M

Paul M
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 2:27 pm 
I visited Goodman Hill today along with REDWIC, thanks to my son-in-law Joe, who recently returned from down range. Our daughter and grandson had been staying with us so they already had a vehicle here with Military tags on it simplifying the base access process. Finding the correct road that was not gated was another matter but after several false leads and another stop at range control we finally found the correct route. The tower is in good shape but as Eric noted is treeded in with some growing right below the cab. I suspect it is only a matter of time before this lookout too is no more. As the lowest Washington State lookout still standing on its original site it is sure a tricky one to get to.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 4:25 pm 
Fun-Fact: Of Washington fire lookouts currently still standing, Goodman Hill has the lowest elevation yet has the most potential access problems. Thanks, Paul (and family). I followed this peak up with another fire lookout... Tolmie Peak located NW of Mount Rainier. With Stormtembergeddon in full-swing, I am delighted to report that at nearly 6000' elevation there was no snow. Only some hail, rain, and wind. There were also other hikers there... I passed 11 of them.

littlesportsman
Lawrence

littlesportsman
Lawrence
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 5:18 pm 
I checked-out Goodman Hill (12/21/2017) and it's still standing. JBML recommends using a PDF Map reader from Avenza systems. The app can be downloaded on your smartphone (either Apple or Android). Then download a map/atlas of the JBLM Range: http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/DPTMS/training/range/docs/JBLM_Atlas_v2.pdf.

Love hiking. Let's go!
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 7:49 pm 
mepokeu wrote:
There is also some prime fishing on fort lewis.. only place ive ever seen a wild river otter in washington
I’ve seen otter at Woodland Ck, in Lacey, Sequalitchew and Edmund (sp?) Marsh in Dupont, as well as in the Nisqually, and Medicine or McAllister Creek on the delta. Back when public access was still allowed I saw otter at McAllister Springs. I’d be shocked if they didn’t use at least the perennial portion of Muck.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!