Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Potential landslide Rattlesnake Ridge Yakima
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jan 28, 2018 4:44 pm 
Some of those aluminum tags are revisited every ten years. They are forest inventory plots.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 9:22 pm 
More gratuitous fissure footage - now with soft-jazz!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 10:18 pm 
IanB wrote:
More gratuitous fissure footage - now with soft-jazz!
haha! lol.gif Awesome! ~z

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 10:17 pm 
And now they are saying it COULD be years before it slides, but could also happen anytime. Gee, that is helpful. Not. Bummer is the best route to get between Central Oregon and Seattle area passes right through the slide path. So now we need to debate.....Am I feeling lucky? Or go through all the traffic shitstorms on the I5 route, which is probably worse odds of surviving, now that I think of it.

friluftsliv
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 7:52 am 
Well, that meteor is waiting to smash into earth and cause our demise, or those nukes are aimed and ready to go, or.... I'd drive it without worries as long as traffic is moving.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 7:59 am 
http://www.yakimaherald.com/slide/residents-get-ok-to-return-to-homes-near-rattlesnake-ridge/article_057bd828-0715-11e8-8fc3-bf1d9bf60c8f.html The people that were living there could not find affordable housing. According to NW NPR the Yakima housing shortage is worse than Seattle. So, how do you work out which is better--homelessness or living under a hill that might slide? I'd hate to have to figure that out.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 11:43 am 
This appears to be directly adjacent to a gravel pit or some kind of mining operation. Has there been any discussion about whether/how that may have destabilized the slope? This touches on the nerve inflamed by the issue above Talus in Issaquah. Developer cuts down all trees on steep slope. Slope slides. City uses my tax dollars to fix so developer can go on building housing blight on hillside. Seems like if a for-profit company alters the mechanics of a hillside and it then becomes unstable, mitigation should be at *their* expense, not taxpayer's.

If not now, when?
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 6:18 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
Seems like if a for-profit company alters the mechanics of a hillside and it then becomes unstable, mitigation should be at *their* expense, not taxpayer's.
Well, that sounds completely reasonable to me. Well said. Now how do we go about making it happen?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
RichP

RichP
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 7:06 pm 
moonspots wrote:
cascadeclimber wrote:
Seems like if a for-profit company alters the mechanics of a hillside and it then becomes unstable, mitigation should be at *their* expense, not taxpayer's.
Well, that sounds completely reasonable to me. Well said. Now how do we go about making it happen?
I assume the company has a permit from the state to operate there so the taxpayer will undoubtably be paying in the end if this thing ever goes.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 pm 
There are rock quarries and gravel mining operations all over the continent. How many instances have there been where there's been a documented correlation between a catastrophic slide event and a gravel mining operation or rock quarry? I'm surprised nobody claimed it was caused by logging.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 9:39 pm 
The pit owners did pay for hotel rooms for a while for the people living in harm's way. Sometimes you need to talk to a geologist to get an idea that slides will happen no matter what is done or not done to the land. Slides are a fact of life.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 9:47 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Sometimes you need to talk to a geologist
I would not trust my life to a Geologist, especially when they were paid by the pit owners. I would GTFO....good luck trying to sell their houses though aye?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostFri Feb 02, 2018 3:20 am 
Well.... the geologists are the ones who are supposed to be academically trained to ascertain exactly what any "cause" might be. There's always the possibility the activity of the gravel mining operation may have been a contributing factor, but at this point that's no less speculative than suggesting the vibration of the railroad running down at the toe of the slope may have been a cause. That's not consolidated bedrock there - it's unconsolidated alluvial glacial till. If it weren't there wouldn't be a gravel mining operation there. And bear in mind what "Nick on the Rocks" told us above: the river is older than those hills. It's been chewing away at them for millennia. White people have only been in that valley for about 150 years. Who's to say this sort of thing isn't part of the natural landscape over there? All guesses until the "ologists" start poking holes and doing their "ologist" thing and come up with some answers. May as well get out your Ouija board and ask why it's happening.
88.6ー F below zero
88.6ー F below zero

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 02, 2018 7:22 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Sometimes you need to talk to a geologist
I would not trust my life to a Geologist, especially when they were paid by the pit owners. I would GTFO....good luck trying to sell their houses though aye?
I do not think all the geologists were paid by the pit owners. A reminder: Rock pits are a necessary evil for our current transportation systems. I hate to villify them for providing what we need.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostFri Feb 02, 2018 9:54 am 
In all the cacophony of conjecture, has anybody stopped to consider why Horseshoe Bend just upstream (on the Naches) is Horseshoe Bend? wink.gif 46.761698, -120.829296 Just food for thought.