Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Nearly all members of National Park Service advisory panel resign in frustration
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 7:23 pm 
Three-quarters of the members of a federally chartered board advising the National Park Service abruptly quit Monday night out of frustration that Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke had refused to meet with them or convene a single meeting last year.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 8:06 pm 
Are you surprised?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 8:12 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Are you surprised?
Only that it wasn't 100%.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 1:03 pm 
Quote:
Last spring, Zinke suspended the work of more than 200 advisory boards, committees and subcommittees pending a review. Some returned to duty, others have been altered or dropped and still others remain dormant. Last week, Zinke announced the creation of a new panel, the Hunting and Shooting Sports Conservation Council. “Hunters and anglers are the backbone of wildlife and habitat conservation in America," Zinke said. "Through the purchase of duck stamps, bows, ammo, firearms, and more, sportsmen and women contribute billions of dollars to conservation."
We survived after James Watt; I think we can survive after Zinke.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 pm 
Schroder wrote:
We survived after James Watt; I think we can survive after Zinke.
I hope so. IMV, Zinke has already caused more damage than Watt, e.g., I don't recall Watt attacking the NPS, and there was pushback within the GOP against Watt. Only time will tell whether we will recover from this era of disenlightenment. I heard David Frum (a longtime R) yesterday opine that it would take at least one generation.

RodF

RodF
PostThu Jan 18, 2018 3:05 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Only time will tell whether we will recover from this era of disenlightenment.
Thoughtful question, and well-turned phrase. It renews my appreciation for the great majority of civil servants in Interior (not to mention Justice, State...) who continue to "Keep Calm and Carry On". We'll need them all the more to make that recovery happen. And hopefully limit the damage in the meantime. But the Advisory Board members were in such a position that they have today done us a service in the only way that remained available to them. They deserve our respect. p.s. While it's tempting to cite Watt, I see greater parallels to Andrew Jackson.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Jan 18, 2018 3:28 pm 
And now this: A Trojan Horse Threatens the Nation’s Parks
Quote:
Representative Chris Stewart, Republican of Utah, introduced legislation to establish the Escalante Canyons National Park and Preserve.
Quote:
This would place control of a national park — owned by all Americans — in the hands of local politicians whose agenda is decidedly local.

Klapton

Klapton
PostThu Jan 18, 2018 4:04 pm 
RodF wrote:
I see greater parallels to Andrew Jackson.
Only he won't go after the bankers and he won't get the country out of debt. (Note: This is NOT an endorsement of Andrew Jackson or any other president).

trestle

trestle
PostSat Jan 20, 2018 10:00 am 
The age of disenlightenment began in late 2000 and continues thru today. It will take at least a generation if not more to undo this and we may never actually achieve it now that avenues to polarizing hate are instantaneous for all connected. The amount of entitled and willful ignorance in this country is staggering. Hope must continue however. smile.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 pm 
I bet none of you people even heard of this panel before this became a news story. I'm almost positive not one of you would have been able to name one person who was on the panel. I'm totally positive not one of you could list a single accomplishment made by this panel. But everyone is so sure that this marks the end of the NPS as we know it lol.gif

Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 6:38 am 
The way the currant secretary is running the Interior Department is there any doubt which special interest groups he is doing the bidding for.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 3:38 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
everyone is so sure that this marks the end of the NPS as we know it lol.gif
That's exactly Zinke's stated goal.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 5:23 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I'm sure you can provide a link to him saying that?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 5:53 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Schroder wrote:
Schroder IS the link, I've never known him to be wrong.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Gregory

Gregory
PostMon Jan 22, 2018 7:03 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
MyFootHurts wrote:
Schroder wrote:
Schroder IS the link, I've never known him to be wrong.
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:48 am Reply to topic Reply with quote Ignore this user Gregory wrote: Alaska has the great benefit of fishing all the west coast stocks.California, Oregon, Washington. and Canada's fish all go up north to feed and grow. No. The Alaska salmon fisheries are all terminal fisheries - near the river mouths - and tightly regulated. The salmon migration occurs well out at sea. The only interception is from foreign fleets fishing illegally on the high seas. He is completely wrong here and knows it. Comprehensive Management Plan for Puget Sound Chinook: Harvest Management Component P U G E T S O U N D I N D I A N T R I B E S A N D T H E W A S H I N G T O N D E P A R T M E N T O F F I S H A N D W I L D L I F E D E C E M B E R 1, 2 0 1 7 Distribution of Fishing Mortality A significant portion of the fishing mortality on many Puget Sound Chinook salmon stocks occurs outside the jurisdiction of this plan, in Canadian and/or Southeast Alaskan fisheries, based on recoveries of coded-wire tags from indicator stocks (Table 2-9). Of the Puget Sound indicator stocks, more than half of total mortality of Nooksack spring, Skagit summer/fall, Stillaguamish summer/fall, and Hoko fall Chinook salmon occurs in Alaska and Canada. Washington troll fisheries account for smaller portions of total exploitation, accounting for 6 to 10% for Samish, Skokomish, Nisqually, and South Puget Sound stocks. Puget Sound net and U.S. sport fisheries Puget Sound Chinook Harvest Management Plan Fisheries and Jurisdictions 26 account for the majority of mortality on Skagit spring, Samish fall, Skokomish fall, Nisqually, and South Puget Sound fall stocks. Table 2-9. 2009-2014 average distribution of fishery mortality, based on coded-wire tag recoveries, for Puget Sound Chinook salmon indicator stocks (CTC 2017). Indicator stock Alaska% Canada US troll % US net% US sport % Nooksack spring fingerling 8.7% 69.4% 4.0% 5.6% 11.7% Samish fall fingerling 0.3% 24.2% 8.0% 51.7% 15.7% Skagit spring fingerling 1.8% 33.7% 0.8% 4.8% 14.4% Skagit spring yearling 1.4% 32.8% 1.7% 36.2% 28.7% Skagit summer/fall fingerling 21.1% 39.7% 1.3% 29.6% 8.5% Stillaguamish fall fingerling 14.6% 52.0% 2.3% 4.7% 26.5% South Puget Sound fall fingerling 0.9% 39.0% 10.2% 24.7% 25.2% Nisqually fall fingerling 0.2% 16.2% 7.3% % 33.5% Skokomish fall fingerling 0.5% 24.1% 6.7% 32.1% 36.6% Hoko fall fingerling 41.0% 44.8% 3.4% 0.0% 11.6% https://tidalexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/PS-CHIN-RMP-FINAL-12012017.pdf Pages 34 and 35