Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pratt Mountain, Pratt Lake, Olallie Lake - 1/6/18
Previous :: Next Topic  
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 8:46 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
First summit of the new year and, uh, well...the views weren't quite as good as they were in awilsondc's report from last week. In fact there were no views. Lots of good exercise though and that's all I was really after in this particular outing.

There's still a good bootpack leading most of the way to summit. It got a little filled-in along the last bit of the summit ridge, but me and a few other hikers following behind broke it in again.

After getting down from the summit I started to head towards Island Lakes but the snow wasn't compacted and I was post-holing up to my knees at certain points. I didn't bring flotation so I decided to turn around.

On the way out I detoured to Pratt and Olallie Lakes, which had broken-in trails that didn't require flotation.

The trail is extremely icy and I would HIGHLY recommend microspikes.

14 miles RT, 4,500 ft. elevation gain.

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Jeff
Ramen Elitist

Jeff
Ramen Elitist
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 8:54 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
It seems like there has been an increased interest in winter hiking and it is allowing access without the need for flotation for a lot of routes. I finally bought microspikes this year since I spent much of last year carrying my snowshoes.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pratt Mountain, Pratt Lake, Olallie Lake - 1/6/18
  Happy Birthday Alpine Andy, travis.diller!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: