Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 12:48 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker wrote:
Anne Elk wrote:
From the permit:

Quote:
...bury or burn all refuse and leave my camping place in a clean and sanitary condition.

Well there's a nonsequitur.  I guess "pack it out" never occurred to them.

"Bash, Burn and Bury" was the guideline until "Backpacking One Step at Time" was published in 1972 and the idea of "If you can carry it in full, you can pack it out empty" started to gain traction.

It is kinda cool to trace the history and evolution of back country use, isn't it?  I enjoy old Mountaineer (albums? I can't recall what their booklets were called - they've been published online now)

Some of the old Signpost magazine letters to the editor were about how hikers should start carrying it out, and Signposters and Louise began that education amonst readers (which, anyone who was anyone, was a Signpost subscriber); backpacking/hiking boom of the last 1960's  overwhelmed the old rule. I think it was quite forward-thinking of them, and of Louise Marshall (Signpost editor and creator of Signpost) to begin that kind of education then.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  oldgranola, NWHs outdoors advocate.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 1:27 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Some of the old Signpost magazine letters to the editor were about how hikers should start carrying it out, and Signposters and Louise began that education amonst readers (which, anyone who was anyone, was a Signpost subscriber); backpacking/hiking boom of the last 1960's  overwhelmed the old rule. I think it was quite forward-thinking of them, and of Louise Marshall (Signpost editor and creator of Signpost) to begin that kind of education then.

Indeed. Back in the day, it seems there was also more of a "funnel effect", amongst the growing crowd of the hiker/backpacker set; ie, if you got interested and began trying to learn how to do it, (equipment, places to go, technique etc) you had to do your own research and talk to the folks working at your local outfitters, and so picked up good habits early.  These days, not so much it seems, thanks to ... Instagram et al.  But I'll admit to likely having a distorted view of how much more "woke" backcountry travellers were when I was learning. We actually picked up books by Paul Petzoldt et al and learned something, instead of just traipsing up Pilchuck in flip-flops.  hockeygrin.gif

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Its why we cant have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
reststep

reststep

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 1:37 pm 
Here's a link to the Mountaineer Annuals online.

https://www.mountaineers.org/about/history/the-mountaineer-annuals

--------------
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Camping at Lake 22, then dinner at Big Four
  Happy Birthday moosefish!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: