Forum Index > Trail Talk > Unsafe behavior: When do you speak up?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm 
wanderwild wrote:
I try to leave out the "you should" part, and just hit 'em with the second part of the statement.
I came to a river that needed to ford, so I changed into my stream crossing shoes. Right where the trail crossed there was a bit of a strainer logjam that stretched about halfway across just down stream. As I was scouting out a safe place to cross below the logjam, I noticed two guys and a woman appear. They were going to ford where the trail crossed. I simply yelled out that this was a better place to cross. They came down and we all crossed at that spot. After we were all on the other side and putting our hiking shoes back one guy asked why I thought this was a better place to cross. I told him that if someone slipped and fell in up above at the trail, they might get jammed into the strainer logjam and not be able to get out because of the rushing water. He said he had never thought of that. I got the opportunity to do a bit of stream-crossing education simply by being friendly and willing to invite them to cross with me. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 7:00 am 
Usually when its too late

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message