Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sacramento Mountains with Josh and Fletcher- 1/8/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 7:06 am 
We had planned to do Moapa, one of the peaks recently done by Steven and Jake, but the Vegas area was experiencing the start of a 2 day major rainstorm. I searched for the nearest peaks with an acceptable forecast and settled on the Sacramento Mountains, a small range just west of Needles CA. We could get 3 peaks down there, about 2 hours away.
Eagle
Eagle
Nomento
Nomento
We drove up the Eagle Pass road and entered a sandy canyon. We started with Eagle Peak. It was guarded by cliffs, but we found an old trail leading to a mine and then ascended a loose steep gully. The eastern summit ridge was longer than it appeared.
Josh
Josh
After Eagle we traversed the connecting ridge to Nomento Peak. This area is packed with cholla. We all took minor hits on the trailrunners but Josh fell on one and had a few deep thorns to extract. We could see that a lot of rain was falling to the north and some to the west as well. We only experienced a few light sprinkles.
cholla
cholla
Nomento
Nomento
Eagle from Nomento
Eagle from Nomento
After Nomento we moved the car to Eagle Pass and then followed the was south along the east side of some black rock formations. We scrambled up one for fun, but it didn’t have enough prominence to be a peak. The third peak we went to isn’t named and probably has less than 10 ascents. It’s just Peak 2871. We crossed over a number of ridges before coming to the final summit ridge. There were several false summits.
Fletcher on the black rock formation
Fletcher on the black rock formation
Sacram Benchmark
Sacram Benchmark
summit
summit

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 am 
Nice consolation prize after getting rained off Moapa. I left you guys a note in the register up there so you'll have to go get it someday smile.gif
Gimpilator wrote:
We all took minor hits on the trailrunners but Josh fell on one and had a few deep thorns to extract.
Josh, I feel your pain...I fell on a cactus almost two weeks ago and still have some thorns embedded in my hand dizzy.gif Thanks for taking the time to put out these reports. I enjoy the desert imagery during these rainy times here in WA.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm 
Another fun day in the desert, although it wasn't our original plan. I really enjoyed the scenery in the Mojave.
Eagle Peak from the car
Eagle Peak from the car
hiking the old mining trail we found
hiking the old mining trail we found
the mine
the mine
Nomento from Eagle
Nomento from Eagle
ranges
ranges
Nomento again
Nomento again